What's new
Off Topix

Off Topix is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public way back in 2009! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to pique your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.

Arizona Democrats Decry AZ Supreme Court Abortion Ruling

Webster

Retired Snark Master
Administrator

(The Guardian) The Arizona governor, Katie Hobbs, a Democrat, said Tuesday was a “dark day” for the state following the ruling and implored abortion rights supporters to make their voices heard in November.

Hobbs said the court decision was a sign that “the fight for our reproductive freedoms is far from over”. In a statement on Tuesday, she said: I’ve personally experienced the anguish of losing a pregnancy and I know it’s outrageous to have the government tell you that the best decision for your health or future could now be considered a crime. I will not stop fighting until we have fully secured the right to reproductive healthcare in our state.

The governor last year issued a sweeping executive order banning county attorneys from prosecuting women who seek abortions and doctors who perform them.

Speaking to CNN hours after the court ruling, Hobbs said she was confident that voters will have the opportunity to enshrine abortion rights in November and reverse the decision. She added: This is a commonsense measure that is supported by the vast majority of Arizonans in terms of protecting access. And you know, certainly it’s going to motivate voters in November.
Arizona’s Democratic attorney general, Kris Mayes, vowed not to prosecute any doctors or women under the 1864 ban.

Speaking in a news conference after the court’s decision was published, Mayes said: No woman or doctor will be prosecuted under this draconian law … as long as I am attorney general. Not by me, nor by any county attorney serving in our state. Not on my watch.

Her office is looking to pursue options available to ensure the law is not implemented in the state, she added.

In a statement, Mayes described the state supreme court decision as “unconscionable” and an “affront to freedom”, and said the court had “risked the health and lives of Arizonans”. She continued: Today’s decision to reimpose a law from a time when Arizona wasn’t a state, the Civil War was raging, and women couldn’t even vote will go down in history as a stain on our state.

chrome-extension://oemmndcbldboiebfnladdacbdfmadadm/https://www.azcourts.gov/Portals/0/OpinionFiles/Supreme/2024/CV230005PR.pdf

Create an account or login to post a reply

You must be a member in order to post a reply

Create an account

Create an account here on Off Topix. It's quick & easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom