What's new
Off Topix

Off Topix is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public way back in 2009! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to pique your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.

Climate Change Is Largely Manmade

Olivia

Tell me about it
Thread Creator

In 2010, a Gallup poll found that 50% of those surveyed thought that climate change was manmade, while 46% believed it was due to natural causes. Numbers like those indicate controversy. And yet, not a single reputable scientific body rejects the idea that climate change is manmade.

What are your thoughts?

Climate change is not man-made. It is a natural process, but humans are accelerating it. That is what many people fail to understand.

I heard burning fossil fuels, cutting down forests and farming livestock are increasingly influencing the climate and the earth's temperature.

Gallup Polls, like so many other polls, suffer from a low (~8-9%) response rate, and are skewed negative as those are your most likely respondants.

My thoughts, then, are that, polls are bunk.

So the reason there were oak trees in Greenland when the Vikings were there was man made as well?

Yes, yes it was... specifically the Nordic elite, who could not be bothered with driftwood and the same local wood used by commoners. Or it wasn't, I have no way to really know... even still, Rich people, amirite?

Another big scare promoted by rich elite democrats who want you to stop consuming and living comfortable lives while they consume everything and live extremely comfortable lives.

• Disagree
Reactions: Dee
Another big scare promoted by rich elite democrats who want you to stop consuming and living comfortable lives while they consume everything and live extremely comfortable lives.
season 8 applause GIF by RuPaul's Drag Race

I heard burning fossil fuels, cutting down forests and farming livestock are increasingly influencing the climate and the earth's temperature.
Same with fracking.. I heard that because of this that there has been an increase of seismic activity even on the East Coast.. on the dormant faultlines..

I believe it was said that this was the cause of the 2010 Earthquake that hit Northern Virginia and the aftershocks reached as far as my apartment in Brooklyn.

This caused my building to shake so hard, that the decades of shitty fixes to the plumbing and plaster for the leaks became undone and this was what reactivated the dormant mold in my apartment from the late 80s.

My husband was working in the city at the time and he and his crew were left in their office at the time their building was evacuated.. he said they felt the shaking but thought someone was moving heavy equipment and he didnt know it was an earthquake until I called and told him..

I agree that the idea of fracking is disturbing, but what do seismic disturbances have to do with climate change/global warming?
Earthquakes large and small have been going on for eons even before manmade escapades. And will probably continue for "the duration" no matter our efforts and activities.

True, but I was including it as another man-made activity that has also impacted the environment and is a factor for climate change..

I know that earthquakes have been going on a long time.. I am only talking about the ones were said to be linked to things that we have done to the planet. Earthquakes on active faults like the ones out west like the San Andreas fault are normal, I am talking about the ones that have occured as a result man-made activities like fracking and things related to it.

I don't think we learned about the fault lines on the East Coast.. I think we mostly just learned about the ones along the Ring of Fire and the one in California.. in fact, I don't remember hearing anything about the faults on the East until that earthquake happened..

The increase of seimic activity on an otherwise dormant fault line like the one in the VA earthquake (not saying that it was caused by fracking, but I remember them saying in the news back then, how fracking and other activities related to it have been linked to an increase of tremors and earthquakes in places where there were previously very few..) has been linked to fracking in the same way that climate change is linked to other things that people have done to the environment.

I have also read recently that the leaks from fracking can be just as bad for the climate as the experts say that coal is currently. I don't consider myself an expert on this, I just find it interesting. but I did remember the news at the time saying that we'll be seeing more earthquakes like the one that hit VA because of fracking.. so that was why I mentioned it..

As for how fracking is linked to earthquakes and climate change, these links explain it better than I can..

Well, the UK have now turned the tables, excusing themselves because they feel other countries need to do their part.

The UK now intend to delay bans on petrol and diesel cars and installations of new gas boilers.

@Black Angel interesting post above. Do you think fracking should be banned?

Why does it matter if it is manmade or not? If it's not manmade we can just allow the world as we know it to be destroyed??

Create an account or login to post a reply

You must be a member in order to post a reply

Create an account

Create an account here on Off Topix. It's quick & easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom