Do you go online to diagnose your disease?

Olivia

Tell me about it
Thread Creator

Do you go online when feeling bad to diagnose your disease?

How does that usually work out for you?

I have and it makes me think something way worse is going on so I don't bother anymore.

If I have some kind of 'mystery roving pain' I'll check around on what I consider to be "reliable" sources to try to find out what the possible causes might be.
Not too long ago I went searching for what I might do "non pharma" to help with leg &/or foot cramps. Found out online that a common cause for this is a mineral deficiency ..... magnesium or potassium. I started taking an OTC magnesium supplement; but wanted to check with my doctor about the potassium since I have heard that too much of that can be poison...it's used as rat poison. :eek:
Doc said that my blood tests showed that my potassium level is in a good range.....if the mag. was helping to keep taking it.

Trust but verify, I have a great doctor. He is from China and practices holistic medicine as much as possible. But I still go online just to make sure that he's got it right.;)

I mean, I do look up a lot of health issues... But I don't self-diagnose from it if I can help it. I like learning, but I trust my doctors to give me their input. I just tell them, "Hey, this sounds a lot like what i was going through- what do you think?"

The only time I've really self-diagnosed recently is when I had to look up like 10+ words that came up on my MRI report of my neck. I haven't been able to see an orthopedist yet (only found out for sure I need one on the 4th when I had my follow up- had my MRI last month and got the report before the appointment) but based on everything i had to look up while reading... It definitely sounds a lot like I might have osteoarthritis, which does in fact run in my family. However, most of the damage is very similar to my father's damage from when I was younger- so it's also possible that it's just going to require what he had done. I kinda prefer the osteoarthritis option over having to get a fusion surgery, honestly... But we'll see what they say on the 26th.

I'd rather see a doctor in person. I think that helps get a more accurate diagnoses if they look at you and do tests.

As much as I know you should not do it, when I find myself unwell I always Google my symptoms not only to work out what the issue could be but also any remedies that could help with the illness I have.

It's those times you get the answer that it's worse than it is and they you are left worrying.

As much as I know you should not do it, when I find myself unwell I always Google my symptoms not only to work out what the issue could be but also any remedies that could help with the illness I have.
Personally I don't see anything wrong with this approach; I hate going to the Dr. for every little ache & pain if I don't really need to; I'd probably spend three or four days a week at the doctor's office. :rolleyes: And I do think that there is SOME good, accurate, reliable info on the WEB....trick is just stumbling into it.
I have "diagnosed myself" with leg cramps (pretty obvious what's going on there :LOL:) so I found out that potassium and/or magnesium deficiency can cause this. So, I know that potassium is something that you can OD on & cause some serious problems I thought I'd try a magnesium supplement. That magically solved my leg cramping!
And, BTW, I did discuss this with my doctor at the next routine scheduled visit. :)

I'd rather see a doctor in person. I think that helps get a more accurate diagnoses if they look at you and do tests.

Doesn't hurt to get a second opinion from a different doctor too. Sometimes they can be mistaken.

Create an account or login to post a reply

You must be a member in order to post a reply

Create an account

Create an account here on Off Topix. It's quick & easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom