What's new
Off Topix

Off Topix is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public way back in 2009! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to pique your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.

Fav Wikipedia article?

Nebulous

Maintenance Man
Administrator
Founder

What is your favorite Wikipedia article?

Iroquois Theatre Fire

The Iroquois Theatre fire was a catastrophic building fire in Chicago, Illinois, that broke out on December 30, 1903 during a performance attended by 1,700 people. The fire caused 602 deaths and 250 non-fatal injuries.[1] It ranks as the worst theater fire in the United States, surpassing the carnage of the Brooklyn Theatre fire of 1876, which claimed at least 278 lives.[2]

Iroquois Theatre Fire

The Iroquois Theatre fire was a catastrophic building fire in Chicago, Illinois, that broke out on December 30, 1903 during a performance attended by 1,700 people. The fire caused 602 deaths and 250 non-fatal injuries.[1] It ranks as the worst theater fire in the United States, surpassing the carnage of the Brooklyn Theatre fire of 1876, which claimed at least 278 lives.[2]

How scary! Imagine being trapped in a burning building... crazy.

Typhoid Mary

Mary Mallon (September 23, 1869 – November 11, 1938), known commonly as Typhoid Mary, was an Irish-born American cook believed to have infected between 51 and 122 people with typhoid fever. The infections caused three confirmed deaths, with unconfirmed estimates of as many as 50. She was the first person in the United States identified as an asymptomatic carrier of the pathogenic bacteria Salmonella typhi.[1][2] She was forcibly quarantined twice by authorities, the second time for the remainder of her life because she persisted in working as a cook and thereby exposed others to the disease. Mallon died after a total of nearly 30 years quarantined.[3][4] Her popular nickname has since become a term for persons who spread disease or other misfortune, not always aware that they are doing so.

Poor woman; what a wretched life. :(

I don't use Wikipedia, I don't trust it to be accurate and there are many other wiki's that are better.

In fact, I have Ublock Origin set up to automatically remove Wikipedia from search engine results. Lol I know it's off-topic but my two cents. ;)

I don't use Wikipedia, I don't trust it to be accurate and there are many other wiki's that are better.

In fact, I have Ublock Origin set up to automatically remove Wikipedia from search engine results. Lol I know it's off-topic but my two cents. ;)

what makes the other Wiki's accurate?

Typhoid Mary

Mary Mallon (September 23, 1869 – November 11, 1938), known commonly as Typhoid Mary, was an Irish-born American cook believed to have infected between 51 and 122 people with typhoid fever. The infections caused three confirmed deaths, with unconfirmed estimates of as many as 50. She was the first person in the United States identified as an asymptomatic carrier of the pathogenic bacteria Salmonella typhi.[1][2] She was forcibly quarantined twice by authorities, the second time for the remainder of her life because she persisted in working as a cook and thereby exposed others to the disease. Mallon died after a total of nearly 30 years quarantined.[3][4] Her popular nickname has since become a term for persons who spread disease or other misfortune, not always aware that they are doing so.
My mother used to refer to her when I was little. She'd tell me to cover my mouth when I coughed and not behave like Typhoid Mary lol :LOL:

Luke Littler who is only 16 years old will play, on January 3, in the finals of the most prestigious dart tournament, the PDC World Darts Championship.

Tiburcio Vásquez (April 11, 1835 – March 19, 1875) was a Californio bandido who was active in California from 1854 to 1874

The soybean car was a concept car built with agricultural plastic

Bath School disaster

Occurred in 1927

Back in the 'good ol' days', eh?
This one makes it sound like today's nut-jobs haven't made a whole lot of forward progress. :cautious:

There weren't that many nut jobs back then. School shootings or mass shootings weren't happening either.

I thought I'd throw this one on here today which involved 11 stabbing murders. It occurred in my province and the inquest begins today.

Maybe there was some in the past, lately i don't think i have any favourite

Speaking of school shootings. I found this to be interesting.
The natives retaliated with the first school massacre in what would become the United States on July 26, 1764. Three native warriors entered the schoolhouse of teacher Enoch Brown and his 11 pupils. They clubbed the teacher and 9 children to death before slicing off their scalps, with one painful exception. Archie McCullough was still alive when his scalp was removed, though the natives may have believed him dead when they left. McCullough crawled down a hill to the spring where the school collected their drinking water. He was found there by a passersby and they found the rest of the students a few hours later.

Since I'm watching American Horror Story 's Freak Show. I saw freak shows in the early 60's and they were something to see for a little kid. There was also a tent which was for men, you seldom saw women in line. It was the burlesque show.

Freak show

Last edited by a moderator:
Since I'm watching American Horror Story 's Freak Show. I saw freak shows in the early 60's and they were something to see for a little kid. There was also a tent which was for men, you seldom saw women in line. It was the burlesque show.
A lot of them are making a come back. I don't think I'd ever go see a real one though.

Freak show

Great season of that show, I should go back and rewatch :tv:

Humboldt Broncos bus crash

On April 6, 2018, sixteen people were killed and thirteen were injured when a northbound coach bus struck a westbound semi-trailer truck near Armley, Saskatchewan, Canada. The driver of the semi-truck had failed to yield at a flashing stop sign at the intersection of Highways 35 and 335. The semi-trailer was travelling at a speed of approximately 100 km/h (62 mph). Most of the deceased and injured were players from the Humboldt Broncos, a junior ice hockey team from Humboldt, Saskatchewan, which plays in the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League (SJHL).

Happened where I live.

Create an account or login to post a reply

You must be a member in order to post a reply

Create an account

Create an account here on Off Topix. It's quick & easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom