What's new
Off Topix

Off Topix is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public way back in 2009! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to pique your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.

Genetically engineering new bodily organs

Olivia

Tell me about it
Thread Creator

What do you think of the idea of genetically engineering new bodily organs to replace yours when you are old?

Would you accept a transplant of an organ that was genetically engineered if you needed it?

I would be open to this - so many people are waiting for organs, so many peoples lives are adversely affected by needing dialysis, it's heartbreaking. I don't know much in the field but if you replace an organ that "fixes" some genetic defect inherent in your own organ, would your body start to reject it anyway?

I'm 100% for this. It would be very beneficial to a lot of people that need it. If I had something wrong with me and needed a new organ I would definitely accept.

As long as they don't take them out of living clones. Could they grow a liver in a lab that's not attached to a living, breathing, conscious person? Then yeah.

Theres a movie about it:

I sort of hope they can eventually make synthetic organs, not unlike what you see in Bicentennial Man, but ultimately if they can create and cultivate organs in an acceptable, ethical manner, then definitely! Think of the number of transplant patients who wouldn't reach that point of no return because they'd actually be able to get their organ in a timely fashion. That would be amazing.

Create an account or login to post a reply

You must be a member in order to post a reply

Create an account

Create an account here on Off Topix. It's quick & easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom