What's new
Off Topix

Off Topix is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public way back in 2009! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to pique your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.

Healthy Hair

ElegantAura

Off the wall
Elite Member

1. Which shampoo do you use, and what specific features have caught your attention?

2, Do you pay attention to shampoo ingredients, seeking or avoiding certain components for your hair health?

3, When buying shampoo, do you prioritise health benefits, or do you opt for budget friendly options?

Using a good shampoo is important for maintaining healthy hair and a healthy scalp. It's also crucial to remember that your overall health, including factors like your diet, hydration, and lifestyle, is really important too.:haircut:

2, Do you pay attention to shampoo ingredients, seeking or avoiding certain components for your hair health?
I TRY to pay attention as to which ingredients I want to avoid; however, when shopping I often can't remember the names of the chemicals to avoid, and the lists of ingredients on the product are often toooo numerous and in very small print.
I like a shampoo that leaves my hair smelling nice & looking clean & shiny.
=========
What ingredients are generally best avoided?
Skin care experts generally recommend avoiding certain shampoo and conditioner ingredients, no matter your hair type or styling preferences.
If you see any of the following on the label, you may want to keep shopping.
Sulfates
Sulfates, most commonly sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) and sodium laureth sulfate (SLES), work as cleansing agents. They offer a deep clean and the sudsy lather many people expect from a shampoo.
Still, these harsh cleansers can strip your hair of its natural oils, which can lead to dryness.
They also have a few other drawbacks:
skin irritation
dryness
inflammation
increased skin sensitivity
worsened symptoms of skin conditions like rosacea, eczema, and contact dermatitis

Sulfates don’t just affect your hair and skin. When you wash them down the drain, they flow into sewage systems and eventually to local rivers or the ocean, where they can wreak havoc on fragile ecosystems.

Formaldehyde
You’ll find this chemical compound in a number of household products — not to mention building materials, furniture, and paints.
In shampoos, it serves as a preservative, but it’s probably best to put any shampoos containing formaldehyde back on the shelf — it’s a known human carcinogen.

It can also lead to contact allergies or dermatitis and worsen skin conditions like allergic dermatitis and eczema.

Parabens
These chemical preservatives have been used in beauty products for years to extend shelf life.
They do have antibacterial and antifungal properties, true. But they’re also rapidly absorbed through the skin and into bodily tissues, where they may:
-affect breast cell tissue growth and possibly increase breast cancer risk
-affect estrogen in the body, with potential consequences for menstruation and pregnancy
-trigger allergic contact dermatitis
-lead to skin issues like irritation, redness, flaking, and hives

Parabens can also cause ecological harm. Even low levels of butylparaben can kill coral.

Hexachlorophene
This antiseptic agent is common in cosmetic products because of its antibacterial properties.

Still, it can cause eye and skin irritation, including:
-redness and swelling
-dryness
-sensitivity to light
-scaling

It’s also harmful if swallowed. It can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal cramps.

Phthalates
These man-made chemical compounds add flexibility to many plastics.
In shampoo, phthalates serve as a binding agent. They’re easily absorbed into the human body.

Experts have linked them to:
-changes in hormone levels and function
-low sperm count and infertility
-Increased risk of pregnancy loss and gestational diabetes

They may also harm the:
-kidneys
-thyroid
-liver
-immune system
Phthalates are also environmental pollutants. They can affect reproduction in animals, just as they do in humans.

Triclosan
You’ll find this antibacterial chemical in plenty of products, including toothpaste and mouthwash.
In 2016, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) banned its use in antibacterial soaps, but it’s still used in other personal care products, like shampoo.

Triclosan helps reduce bacterial contamination — but it’s easily absorbed into the skin and tissue, where exposure can affect reproductive health. It also makes its way into the sewage system, where it can harm any number of plant and animal species.
---
*LINK*
1. Which shampoo do you use, and what specific features have caught your attention?
Right now I'm using "Super Nature" with aloe brand. Nice fragrance & I like the "natural" claim. :)

@passenger (y) There isn't much more to add, you've covered everything.
I now make an effort to use better quality shampoo compared to the past. This change stems from several reasons, including actions in the past that I'm dealing with now.
Regardless, I prioritise using products that are best for my hair. Achieving healthy hair involves more than just shampoo, and although it's a vast topic, I'll skip the details.:cool: In any case, I use multiple products, and while I won't list them all here, one that I use is Clever Curls.

Achieving healthy hair involves more than just shampoo, and although it's a vast topic, I'll skip the details.:cool: In any case, I use multiple products, and while I won't list them all here, one that I use is Clever Curls.
Interesting! Are you using just one of those products, or a range (several) of them?
I'm not so much into 'products' now as when I was getting a "perm", also having to wash my hair daily because of the job I had.

Interesting! Are you using just one of those products, or a range (several) of them?
I'm not so much into 'products' now as when I was getting a "perm", also having to wash my hair daily because of the job I had.
perm need a lot of looking after

Using Almost All :rolleyes:
I use the cleanser that is the shampoo, light conditioner, curl treatment, curl cream, curl gel, dry weather, and the curl wonderfoam.
I use all of these in the same order, just I don't use the wonderfoam all the time these days, especially if I have no plans to go out, to save a little.

When I want to give my hair a break, I also use Curl Manifesto from Kérastase, again using the entire range. Additionally, I use The Elixir Ultime Oil from the same brand.

another i use is Mad About Curls range from Schwarzkopf, but not very often, as it is not the best compared to the other products

perm need a lot of looking after

Using Almost All :rolleyes:
I use the cleanser that is the shampoo, light conditioner, curl treatment, curl cream, curl gel, dry weather, and the curl wonderfoam.
I use all of these in the same order, just I don't use the wonderfoam all the time these days, especially if I have no plans to go out, to save a little.

When I want to give my hair a break, I also use Curl Manifesto from Kérastase, again using the entire range. Additionally, I use The Elixir Ultime Oil from the same brand.

another i use is Mad About Curls range from Schwarzkopf, but not very often, as it is not the best compared to the other products
Wow! That's a LOT of products! And sounds like it's lots of time spent since you're doing it yourself.
'These days' I have no style. :rolleyes: My hair is long & straight and I just pull it quickly back into a bun. :coffee:

Wow! That's a LOT of products! And sounds like it's lots of time spent since you're doing it yourself.
'These days' I have no style. :rolleyes: My hair is long & straight and I just pull it quickly back into a bun. :coffee:
i think that is nice style too

ok with all this product i said i look like i spend a lot of time but i don't most done while in shower the rest is 5 minutes tops :rolleyes:

Create an account or login to post a reply

You must be a member in order to post a reply

Create an account

Create an account here on Off Topix. It's quick & easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom