What's new
Off Topix

Off Topix is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public way back in 2009! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to pique your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.

Malfunctioning USB drive

The Raven

How do you feel when you have data on 256GB USB drive and over night it says it can't work, you must format the drive, and all of your data is gone. How you deal with that? Yesterday my USB drive did the same thing I just described and I got so upset. I was downloading many movies, tv series, games, programs... All of that GONE. I tried using RUFUS to format it and they show me some error.

Screenshot-1.jpg

I really don't know what to do, right now USB drive is useless.

You have my sympathies. Fixing a USB drive is a bit out of my wheelhouse. Is this a thumb drive or a USB hard drive? If the latter, is the cable replaceable? Because the cable is often the problem with I/O errors on an external device. But if it is a thumb drive? Yeah, you're probably SOL.

Even stuff on a USB drive needs to be backed up if you plan to keep it long haul. We have a 1TB USB hard drive but use it mainly to back up stuff on my wife's PC, not to store stuff. There's a folder of media, mostly movies, that's not backed up anywhere but I wouldn't cry if I lost it.

(And our most valuable files, our family home videos and photos, get backed up to the cloud as well as the USB drive)

Create an account or login to post a reply

You must be a member in order to post a reply

Create an account

Create an account here on Off Topix. It's quick & easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom