What's new
Off Topix

Off Topix is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public way back in 2009! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to pique your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.

MOTM November ~ Scarlet Rose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nebulous

Maintenance Man
Administrator
Founder

motm1.png

motm2.png

It's time to announce this
month's Member of the Month!

Congratulations to @Scarlet Rose

:party:

Thank you, was totally unexpected. It is nice to be back on a forum again. Haven't been so active in posting lately, but still lurk here reading people's content. Hopefully now that semester is over for me I will have more mental energy. Just anxiously waiting on my grades now. I am waiting on three assignment grades for my public anthro class but this is the most important one. If I pass it then I have already passed the class since it is worth 30% of the class grade and I am currently on 39% out of a possible 45%.It will be nice to be more active again though as there are so many interesting threads here that I have been wanting to reply to. Wow, I wander off topic whenever I speak. Maybe Serafin has a legit point about me. 😱

Thank you, was totally unexpected. It is nice to be back on a forum again. Haven't been so active in posting lately, but still lurk here reading people's content. Hopefully now that semester is over for me I will have more mental energy. Just anxiously waiting on my grades now. I am waiting on three assignment grades for my public anthro class but this is the most important one. If I pass it then I have already passed the class since it is worth 30% of the class grade and I am currently on 39% out of a possible 45%.It will be nice to be more active again though as there are so many interesting threads here that I have been wanting to reply to. Wow, I wander off topic whenever I speak. Maybe Serafin has a legit point about me. 😱

Fingers crossed you get a high score on your assignment!!

The Office Congrats GIF

Wow, I wander off topic whenever I speak. Maybe Serafin has a legit point about me.
I don't think he's around anymore, Scarlet. (TL/DR: he used a racial slur in a thread and when I removed the slur in question and let him know I did out of respect for others on the board, he bitched and left)

You've got this :)
Thank you! I got the final assignment grade back for my public engagement class. I got an A, I think I will end up getting an A- for that class. But it does depend on weighting. I will be sad though if weighting drops me down to a B+. I did get marked down in it for not talking about myself enough. Hahaha turns out reflections require you to well reflect. I often struggle with writing about myself directly though.
I would have liked to hear a little more ' you' in this assignment. There are parts but you didn't give the same amount of depth to this aspect as you did to the subject.
I don't think he's around anymore, Scarlet. (TL/DR: he used a racial slur in a thread and when I removed the slur in question and let him know I did out of respect for others on the board, he bitched and left)
Wait, I thought he was just trolling the whole time he was here?

Thank you! I got the final assignment grade back for my public engagement class. I got an A, I think I will end up getting an A- for that class. But it does depend on weighting. I will be sad though if weighting drops me down to a B+. I did get marked down in it for not talking about myself enough. Hahaha turns out reflections require you to well reflect. I often struggle with writing about myself directly though.
Aww, that's awful! I can't really put more "me" into assignments, either, so I totally understand, but that's not fair to get marked down for it. Still a great grade, though!
He was mostly himself, sadly.

Aww, that's awful! I can't really put more "me" into assignments, either, so I totally understand, but that's not fair to get marked down for it. Still a great grade, though!
Well not so much marked down, as I wasn't penalized with deductions. More missed grade opportunities. The presentation one surprises me, as I never proofread. Yes! Self reflection is so incredibly difficult! Which is ironic as I do enjoy theory about the importance of self reflection hahaha.

Concepts
Understanding of course materials
Maximum score
12 / 12
Reflection
Depth of Reflection

Maximum score
5 / 8
Presentation
Clarity & Referencing
Maximum score
4 / 5
In-class feedback session
Attended and contributed
Maximum score
5 / 5
He was mostly himself, sadly.
Wow, I really thought he was trolling and that assumption totally changed how I interacted with him. That is really disheartening.

Well not so much marked down, as I wasn't penalized with deductions. More missed grade opportunities. The presentation one surprises me, as I never proofread. Yes! Self reflection is so incredibly difficult! Which is ironic as I do enjoy theory about the importance of self reflection hahaha.

Concepts
Understanding of course materials
Maximum score
12 / 12
Reflection
Depth of Reflection

Maximum score
5 / 8
Presentation
Clarity & Referencing
Maximum score
4 / 5
In-class feedback session
Attended and contributed
Maximum score
5 / 5
Ah, well it still would have been nice to get the full score, but still a great overall score :)
Wow, I really thought he was trolling and that assumption totally changed how I interacted with him. That is really disheartening.
Yeah, very unfortunate!

As long as I've crossed paths with him, Scarlet, I've never known him to be a troll.

You've got this :)
I got C-, exactly 50%. To be honest it is higher than I deserve. But I have passed the class now and still waiting on two more assignments. Together they are only worth 25% and I am now sitting on 54%. So they won't shift my grade much. Hopefully up to a B- though. I am happy that I passed though
😆😆

I got C-, exactly 50%. To be honest it is higher than I deserve. But I have passed the class now and still waiting on two more assignments. Together they are only worth 25% and I am now sitting on 54%. So they won't shift my grade much. Hopefully up to a B- though. I am happy that I passed though
😆😆
C- is ok, nothing wrong with that! Keep on pushing and you'll get your grade where you want it :)

C- is ok, nothing wrong with that! Keep on pushing and you'll get your grade where you want it :)
Hahaha it is pretty bad, but that is totally on me. I am happy with the result despite it easily being my worst assignment grade this semester. For this class my previous two assignments were A- and A+. Which ended up being fortunate as they have essentially carried the class for me. Potentially with the remaining two I can get into the B-/B range.

My other class I went a lot better, A, B+, A-, A, and A I am hoping for an A with this class since I was fortunate that the B+ is only worth 5% of the class hahaha. To be honest I am more upset about that B+ than I am about the C-. I an usually around the A-/B+ range as there is guaranteed to be one assignment every semester that I mess up with. Like contemporary political thought, I totally messed up the first assignment and got a C+ then had to take the rest more seriously and got an A- overall. Or if I go really strongly with the first few assignments I tend to be less invested in the later ones and my grades drop. Consistency is my biggest issue, 😅 :LOL:

Hahaha it is pretty bad, but that is totally on me. I am happy with the result despite it easily being my worst assignment grade this semester. For this class my previous two assignments were A- and A+. Which ended up being fortunate as they have essentially carried the class for me. Potentially with the remaining two I can get into the B-/B range.

My other class I went a lot better, A, B+, A-, A, and A I am hoping for an A with this class since I was fortunate that the B+ is only worth 5% of the class hahaha. To be honest I am more upset about that B+ than I am about the C-. I an usually around the A-/B+ range as there is guaranteed to be one assignment every semester that I mess up with. Like contemporary political thought, I totally messed up the first assignment and got a C+ then had to take the rest more seriously and got an A- overall. Or if I go really strongly with the first few assignments I tend to be less invested in the later ones and my grades drop. Consistency is my biggest issue, 😅 :LOL:
I understand completely, I was a decent student, but I had no time for maths in my life, I hated it. I was an A student but managed to keep pulling off C- grades in maths and dragged my average so far down because of it. I could do the assignments just fine, but I would get test/exam anxiety and just freeze. Only in maths classes!

I understand completely, I was a decent student, but I had no time for maths in my life, I hated it. I was an A student but managed to keep pulling off C- grades in maths and dragged my average so far down because of it. I could do the assignments just fine, but I would get test/exam anxiety and just freeze. Only in maths classes!
I am lucky I don't have math classses. Haha I am upset enough if they simply want us to use a different writing style for our assignments. I much much prefer the thesis driven essays. But those are becoming more and more scarce. I am so sure you have mentioned it before, but what did you study?

I am lucky I don't have math classses. Haha I am upset enough if they simply want us to use a different writing style for our assignments. I much much prefer the thesis driven essays. But those are becoming more and more scarce. I am so sure you have mentioned it before, but what did you study?
Some of the writing styles they ask for...just silly! Then you get some that ask for specific word counts, how is that helpful? If you can make a valid point or proposal and do it in just a few pages rather than a novel, why do you then need to fill it out with fluff that adds nothing? Terrible approach to assignments!

The official title of the degree I received was Masters of Science in Information Technology with a Concentration on Systems Security, long winded way of saying I studied to be a programmer with a focus on security aspects. :)

Some of the writing styles they ask for...just silly! Then you get some that ask for specific word counts, how is that helpful? If you can make a valid point or proposal and do it in just a few pages rather than a novel, why do you then need to fill it out with fluff that adds nothing? Terrible approach to assignments!

The official title of the degree I received was Masters of Science in Information Technology with a Concentration on Systems Security, long winded way of saying I studied to be a programmer with a focus on security aspects. :)
Haha usually the word limits reel me in, as a lot of the assignments I am genuinely interested in so enjoy writing about. To the point that even readings I did for assignments over a decade ago stick with me. Well the gist of them does anyway to the degree they influence my current thinking.

Oh wow, that is really impressive then! I lose interest ridiculously fast in fields like that, so from my perspective you have amazing willpower and drive. 😱

Haha usually the word limits reel me in, as a lot of the assignments I am genuinely interested in so enjoy writing about. To the point that even readings I did for assignments over a decade ago stick with me. Well the gist of them does anyway to the degree they influence my current thinking.
That's a fantastic level of commitment to have to your studies! I am interested in the things I study, but I've always been one for brevity and facts over fluffing out a paper, so I'd write my assignments and still be hundreds or even thousands of words short. I just find it easier to be to-the-point in assignments, lol. On forums? I can write pages and pages about things, but in papers I always kept it brief :D
Oh wow, that is really impressive then! I lose interest ridiculously fast in fields like that, so from my perspective you have amazing willpower and drive. 😱
It was a nice accomplishment to get the degree, but it feels like a waste to me, considering I've now not been in the field for 7 years, don't think I'll be able to get back in again anytime soon, and so it's now a perfectly wasted education that I'm still paying back (well, I'm actually on forbearance in paying it back because of my current financial situation, but will be paying again). I appreciate that I did it, but I wish I'd had the chance to use it. Ah well, onwards and upwards :)

:hug: You passed, Scarlet, you passed. That's what counts.

That's a fantastic level of commitment to have to your studies! I am interested in the things I study, but I've always been one for brevity and facts over fluffing out a paper, so I'd write my assignments and still be hundreds or even thousands of words short. I just find it easier to be to-the-point in assignments, lol. On forums? I can write pages and pages about things, but in papers I always kept it brief :D
Oh, it is more a case of them being something I am genuinely interested in. It makes it way easier. I also like playing with the concepts and theories that I learn about. I never proofread, but I can spend days or weeks thinking about how I want to put my essay together. I read about it recreationally too, so there definitely is excitement to be had when I can pull in my recreational sources as well. I do get critiqued for being overambitious in the scope of what I wish to discuss though hahaha. I used to write a lot more in forums but it is usually just frustrating haha. So I am way more brief in my posts now. I have a really bad habit of withholding arguments in case I need them later on in the discussion.
It was a nice accomplishment to get the degree, but it feels like a waste to me, considering I've now not been in the field for 7 years, don't think I'll be able to get back in again anytime soon, and so it's now a perfectly wasted education that I'm still paying back (well, I'm actually on forbearance in paying it back because of my current financial situation, but will be paying again). I appreciate that I did it, but I wish I'd had the chance to use it. Ah well, onwards and upwards :)
I am sorry to hear that. It is really unfortunate that it isn't something that is as easily transferable to other areas of your life. It is also a field that moves incredibly quickly too, so that would only make it worse. That still is an accomplishment that you were able to achieve it though! So do agree with you on that. I am nowhere near as familiar with fields outside of the arts and social sciences, but did your degree help with developing your worldview and/or critical thinking?
:hug: You passed, Scarlet, you passed. That's what counts.
Haha yes! I am happy about that! Only two more classes to go now! Then I can think about applying for Masters. :D

Oh, it is more a case of them being something I am genuinely interested in. It makes it way easier. I also like playing with the concepts and theories that I learn about. I never proofread, but I can spend days or weeks thinking about how I want to put my essay together. I read about it recreationally too, so there definitely is excitement to be had when I can pull in my recreational sources as well. I do get critiqued for being overambitious in the scope of what I wish to discuss though hahaha. I used to write a lot more in forums but it is usually just frustrating haha. So I am way more brief in my posts now. I have a really bad habit of withholding arguments in case I need them later on in the discussion.
Oh definitely! When it's a subject you're truly passionate about it just flows out and comes across on the page. I think it's wonderful to have that passion, in spite of others' views that it might be over the top, it's truly isn't! Passion is passion, embrace it and run with it!!
I am sorry to hear that. It is really unfortunate that it isn't something that is as easily transferable to other areas of your life. It is also a field that moves incredibly quickly too, so that would only make it worse. That still is an accomplishment that you were able to achieve it though! So do agree with you on that. I am nowhere near as familiar with fields outside of the arts and social sciences, but did your degree help with developing your worldview and/or critical thinking?
It did, actually, quite a bit. I was a fairly one-dimensional thinker before, but getting the degree, going through the various courses it took and experiencing life afterwards it really opens your mind and gives you a perspective that you otherwise wouldn't have had. Approaching solutions from a pragmatic standpoint at times, or putting something you've learned into practice in totally unexpected ways. It's interesting to experience!
Haha yes! I am happy about that! Only two more classes to go now! Then I can think about applying for Masters. :D
You can do it :)

Oh definitely! When it's a subject you're truly passionate about it just flows out and comes across on the page. I think it's wonderful to have that passion, in spite of others' views that it might be over the top, it's truly isn't! Passion is passion, embrace it and run with it!!
I absolutely agree! Although I hadn't even considered passion could be over the top. As I don't see the point in doing something if you aren't doing it with love.
It did, actually, quite a bit. I was a fairly one-dimensional thinker before, but getting the degree, going through the various courses it took and experiencing life afterwards it really opens your mind and gives you a perspective that you otherwise wouldn't have had. Approaching solutions from a pragmatic standpoint at times, or putting something you've learned into practice in totally unexpected ways. It's interesting to experience!
That is really awesome to hear. I personally think that this is the real bonus which can come from studying. How we grow and develop as people is more valuable to me than whether or not it leads to a concrete job or not. Although I don't exactly hide than I live in my heart. :LOL: :LOL: I do really love that your studies had such a positive influence on you though. I am really certain that going forward these are the kind of things that will help you overcome whatever obstacles you come across.
You can do it :)
Thank you! Even if it doesn't work out, I will simply continue reading and learning about it for my own recreation. I can always find ways to apply what I am learning to my general life too.

I absolutely agree! Although I hadn't even considered passion could be over the top. As I don't see the point in doing something if you aren't doing it with love.
Totally agree! Passion is what it should all be about!
That is really awesome to hear. I personally think that this is the real bonus which can come from studying. How we grow and develop as people is more valuable to me than whether or not it leads to a concrete job or not. Although I don't exactly hide than I live in my heart. :LOL: :LOL: I do really love that your studies had such a positive influence on you though. I am really certain that going forward these are the kind of things that will help you overcome whatever obstacles you come across.
Very true, working on building yourself is so, so important, far more than what job you come out of a course with. Never stop living in your heart, either :)
Thank you! Even if it doesn't work out, I will simply continue reading and learning about it for my own recreation. I can always find ways to apply what I am learning to my general life too.
That's a fantastic viewpoint, keep on pushing forward irrespective of how things go and you'll get where you want to be!

😆😆
passing is passing in my book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom