What's new
Off Topix

Off Topix is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public way back in 2009! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to pique your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.

10 Best Ways to Save Money

Randy

Aw, awww!
Thread Creator

Use these money-saving tips to generate ideas about the best ways to save money in your day-to-day life.

1. Eliminate Your Debt​

If you're trying to save money through budgeting but still carrying a large debt burden, start with the debt. Not convinced? Add up how much you spend servicing your debt each month, and you'll quickly see. Once you're free from paying interest on your debt, that money can easily be put into savings. A personal line of credit is just one option for consolidating debt so you can better pay it off.

2. Set Savings Goals​

One of the best ways to save money is by visualizing what you are saving for. If you need motivation, set saving targets along with a timeline to make it easier to save. Want to buy a house in three years with a 20 percent down payment? Now you have a target and know what you will need to save each month to achieve your goal. Use Regions savings calculators to make your goal!

3. Pay Yourself First​

Set up an auto debit from your checking account to your savings account each payday. Whether it's $50 every two weeks or $500, don't cheat yourself out of a healthy long-term savings plan.

4. Stop Smoking​

No, it's certainly not easy to quit, but if you smoke a pack and a half every day, that amounts to nearly $3,000 a year you can realize in savings if you quit. According to the Centers for Disease Control, the percentage of Americans who smoke cigarettes is now below 20 percent for the first time since at least the mid-1960s — join the club!

5. Take a "Staycation"​

Though the term may be trendy, the thought behind it is solid: instead of dropping several thousand on airline tickets overseas, look in your own backyard for fun vacations close to home. If you can't drive the distance, look for cheap flights in your region.

6. Spend to Save​

Let's face it, utility costs seldom go down over time, so take charge now and weatherize your home. Call your utility company and ask for an energy audit or find a certified contractor who can give you a whole-home energy efficiency review. This will range from easy improvements like sealing windows and doors all the way to installing new insulation, siding or ENERGY STAR high-efficiency appliances and products. You could save thousands in utility costs over time.

7. Utility Savings​

Lowering the thermostat on your water heater by 10°F can save you between 3-5 percent in energy costs. And installing an on-demand or tankless water heater can deliver up to 30 percent savings compared with a standard storage tank water heater.

8. Pack Your Lunch​

An obvious money-saving tip is finding everyday savings. If buying lunch at work costs $7, but bringing lunch from home costs only $2, then over the course of a year, you can create a $1250 emergency fund or make a significant contribution to a college plan or retirement fund.

9. Create an Interest-Bearing Account​

For most of us, keeping your savings separate from your checking account helps reduce the tendency to borrow from savings from time to time. If your goals are more long-term, consider products with higher yield rates like a Regions CD or Regions Money Market account for even better savings.

10. Annualize Your Spending​

Do you pay $20 a week for snacks at the vending machine at your office? That's $1,000 you're removing from your budget for soda and snacks each year. Suddenly, that habit adds up to a substantial sum.

Thoughts?

Good points.

Eating out is a biggie for a lot of people. Take out is a bit cheaper as you can take it home and get your own drinks, etc. Or drive thu and skip the fries, drinks etc.

I cook a lot. Baking bread has been a big help. I bake 2 loaves, slice and freeze 6 or 8 slices. Makes it handy to pull out of the fridge.

Make your own coffee. All those coffee drinks, replicate them at home.

Ask yourself do you really need to OWN all the Stuff?

Maybe you would like to own a boat. OK. But, in reality, how often will you have time to use a boat? So if it's only a couple times a year, would be far cheaper to just rent a boat from time to time.
Same with a camper or ATVs or many other things. We seem to want to own things, which is fine but we also own all the costs of ownership

Here are ways we save money:

Food prep- Prepping food for the week saves a LOT of money. Every Sun I do a lot of food prep. I like to prepare vegs and fruits. If I have a bag of grapes, i wash them then de-stem them , dry them off and put them in an easy to grab and eat bowl.

I peel an entire bag of carrots, cut the ends off and wash and dry them. Put them in a bag and easy to grab. Same with celery. I prep other veggies, green peppers, clean and slice them. I will prep a whole head of lettuce and then put in a bag with a dry paper towel. I found keeping my produce clean and adding a paper towel to the bags really helps keep them fresh.

Leftovers - If we have leftovers, get that put in a nice easy to eat from container. I like to package things like a single serving type dinner.

I think food is a big variable expense so any ways to save on that cost is a big help. It's OK to get take out too sometimes. You are not buying drinks, desert, appetizers so that is a savings too.

I like to then eat out and enjoy eating out when we do, not just grabbing food because there is nothing to eat.

I also make a batch of hardboiled eggs and peel them. Easy to grab and eat for breakfast.

Sometimes I get make up several sandwhiches and put in the frigde like ham or turkey sandwhiches, nice to have handy

Here are ways we save money:

Food prep- Prepping food for the week saves a LOT of money. Every Sun I do a lot of food prep. I like to prepare vegs and fruits. If I have a bag of grapes, i wash them then de-stem them , dry them off and put them in an easy to grab and eat bowl.

I peel an entire bag of carrots, cut the ends off and wash and dry them. Put them in a bag and easy to grab. Same with celery. I prep other veggies, green peppers, clean and slice them. I will prep a whole head of lettuce and then put in a bag with a dry paper towel. I found keeping my produce clean and adding a paper towel to the bags really helps keep them fresh.

Leftovers - If we have leftovers, get that put in a nice easy to eat from container. I like to package things like a single serving type dinner.

I think food is a big variable expense so any ways to save on that cost is a big help. It's OK to get take out too sometimes. You are not buying drinks, desert, appetizers so that is a savings too.

I like to then eat out and enjoy eating out when we do, not just grabbing food because there is nothing to eat.

I also make a batch of hardboiled eggs and peel them. Easy to grab and eat for breakfast.

Sometimes I get make up several sandwhiches and put in the frigde like ham or turkey sandwhiches, nice to have handy

I do that too. I usually make work lunches for me and my partner for the week on Sunday or Monday. Usually salads. Hard boiled eggs are a normal snack for me. I am usually the only one who eats them though. I don't like making several sandwiches at once because I like them to be fresh. The bread gets mushy and old tasting if there is condiments or meat pressed up against them for too long.

I like to use apps such as Acorns that will invest "roundups". It's not really much different than just using recurring monthly investments, but it takes money out in small amounts and accumulates over time. It's an easy way to force a little bit of extra money in savings without it being very obvious.

Of course right now, we're in a bear market with the stock market, so investments are losing money. Acorns tends to be a bit conservative compared to other investment apps, so I haven't lost too much this year.

Create an account or login to post a reply

You must be a member in order to post a reply

Create an account

Create an account here on Off Topix. It's quick & easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom