What's new
Off Topix

Off Topix is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public way back in 2009! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to pique your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.

+ / - about your job

Olivia

Tell me about it
Thread Creator

What are the positives and negatives about your job?

Homer Simpson Work GIF

+ Its Mon-Fri and I am home by 3pm every day
- The pay is decent but they could always pay me more. Also health insurance is expensive.

Positives: Schedule.

Negative: Management sucks, most of the co-workers suck, entitled customers suck, pay could be better.

Positive: I'm challenging myself and learning a lot. I get to help patients with their mental/physical well being.

Negatives: Don't get paid enough for what we're expected to do. Top management is corrupt and ignorant liars who pretend to care about the health and well being of their patients, when in reality they really don't.

Positive: Work-life balance, the benefits are so-so

Negatives: Lame people, unachievable targets, the pay is not that decent. Honestly I think I deserve so much better lol. Hopefully I can get a new job soon.

Positive: Work from home

Negatives: Work from home. Terrible hours. Terrible pay. Abusive boss.

Also health insurance is expensive.
In the sense that you have to pay tax on it? Idk how it works in the USA?
Of course you don't have free healthcare, but I'm not sure how healthcare insurance relates to employment?
Here in the UK, a lot of big companies offer free health insurance as an option, but you have to pay tax on it.

In the sense that you have to pay tax on it? Idk how it works in the USA?
Of course you don't have free healthcare, but I'm not sure how healthcare insurance relates to employment?
Here in the UK, a lot of big companies offer free health insurance as an option, but you have to pay tax on it.

Your employer offers health insurance that you can purchase. Then they take the cost of your health insurance plan out of your paycheck each month.

Your employer offers health insurance that you can purchase. Then they take the cost of your health insurance plan out of your paycheck each month.
Just to clarify that's not how it works in the UK. I assume you mean you as in everyone in the US, not the literal you. ;)

What's the benefit of purchasing health insurance from the employer as opposed to from a private provider? Do employers offer health insurance at a discounted rate?

Just to clarify that's not how it works in the UK. I assume you mean you as in everyone in the US, not the literal you. ;)

What's the benefit of purchasing health insurance from the employer as opposed to from a private provider? Do employers offer health insurance at a discounted rate?

Yeah its typically cheaper than buying it yourself. Lets say a health insurance plan costs $1200 a month. You can buy that yourself and pay the full $1200 a month. If you buy the same plan from your employer it might be $400 a month (because they contribute $800 a month towards health insurance as part of an employee benefit package).

Yeah its typically cheaper than buying it yourself. Lets say a health insurance plan costs $1200 a month. You can buy that yourself and pay the full $1200 a month. If you buy the same plan from your employer it might be $400 a month (because they contribute $800 a month towards health insurance as part of an employee benefit package).
Ah makes sense, thanks for sharing! Where companies offer such in the UK, it's typically fully funded :)
Is it a taxable benefit in the US?

Ah makes sense, thanks for sharing! Where companies offer such in the UK, it's typically fully funded :)
Is it a taxable benefit in the US?

I am sure there is but I've never tried to claim any medical expenses on my taxes.

That's tax evasion you naughty boy! :p

Nope. Tax evasion is when you don't do your taxes at all. Usually people who are self-employed get the tax breaks when it comes to medical things, not the average-joe like me.

Nope. Tax evasion is when you don't do your taxes at all. Usually people who are self-employed get the tax breaks when it comes to medical things, not the average-joe like me.
If you don't declare ALL of the benefits you gain, that's tax evasion.
In this case you may be evading tax for your employer's contributions to your health insurance? You may wanna check that.

If you don't declare ALL of the benefits you gain, that's tax evasion.
In this case you may be evading tax for your employer's contributions to your health insurance? You may wanna check that.

I didn't know you were an expert in the American tax system. :p

I think I'll be fine.

I'm referring to the difference in our definitions of tax evasion :p
Of course I don't know all the US laws, I apologise if I'm making ya feel uncomfortable :)

You didn't. I am sure my tax professional would catch anything that needs to be reported. Its not something I am really concerned about.

You didn't. I am sure my tax professional would catch anything that needs to be reported. Its not something I am really concerned about.
Alright, cool beans. Even if it's against the law surely it's hard to get caught out for it, and even if you do, hard to get penalised for just a tad bit of money. When there are worse tax evaders not paying tax AT ALL out there :p

Create an account or login to post a reply

You must be a member in order to post a reply

Create an account

Create an account here on Off Topix. It's quick & easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom