What's New
Off Topix: Embrace the Unexpected in Every Discussion

Off Topix is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public way back in 2009! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to pique your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.

Blizzard Battle.net hack attack hits millions

Jazzy

Wild Thing
Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2010
Posts
79,918
OT Bucks
308,876
Account details for millions of players have been stolen in a hack attack on Blizzard, the maker of World of Warcraft, StarCraft and Diablo.



Blizzard revealed details of the breach in a message posted to its Battle.net account management service.



Players in North America should change their login details for the account management service, said Blizzard.



So far, it said, there was no evidence that credit card numbers and other personal details had been taken.



Angry gamers

In the message, Blizzard boss Mike Morhaime said it discovered on 4 August that there had been unauthorized and illegal access to its internal network.



Its investigation into the breach revealed that whoever broke in got a copy of a list of all email addresses for Battle.net users outside China.



Battle.net is the overarching account management and login service gamers use to play Blizzard games including World of Warcraft, StarCraft 2 and Diablo 3.



Also accessed was information about the security questions and account authenticators used by players on North American servers. As well as players in the US and Canada this includes people in Latin America, Australia, New Zealand, and Southeast Asia.



The attackers also stole a cryptographically scrambled list of the passwords used on North American Battle.net accounts. The technique Blizzard used to conceal these passwords, said Mr Morhaime, made it hard to unscramble them.



Blizzard said that, as far as it knew, the information stolen would not be enough for attackers to gain unauthorised access to Battle.net accounts.



Full article
 
Back
Top Bottom