What's new
Off Topix

Off Topix is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public way back in 2009! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to pique your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.

Prescription Drug Prices?

Randy

Aw, awww!
Thread Creator

With 79% of Americans saying prescription drug costs are “unreasonable,” and 70% reporting lowering prescription drug costs as their highest healthcare priority, the popular prescription drug debate is not whether drug costs should be reduce but how to reduce prescription drug costs. One consideration is whether the United States federal government should regulate prescription drug prices.

A prescription drug is a medication that may only be obtained with a medical professional’s recommendation and authorization. In some US states, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, pharmacists, clinical psychologists, and other medical professionals are permitted to write prescriptions in addition to doctors. Prescription drugs are generally divided into two categories: brand-name drugs and generic drugs.

In the United States, drug companies (also called pharmaceutical companies) set prescription drug prices, which are largely unregulated by the US federal government. Some drug companies will be familiar due to their names being attached to COVID-19 vaccines or other common products: Johnson & Johnson and Pfizer, for example. Others may not be household names but command large portions of the market nonetheless: Swiss companies Roche and Novartis, to name two.

How do you feel about the price of perscription drugs?

The entire medical system in America is fucked. It costs a fortune just to see a doctor or a nurses physician at a walk in clinic. It's one giant debt trap that punishes people for getting sick.

The entire medical system in America is fucked. It costs a fortune just to see a doctor or a nurses physician at a walk in clinic. It's one giant debt trap that punishes people for getting sick.
Yes! Its horrible!

In New Zealand the government fully funds most medications although the pharmacies will often charge a $5 NZD fee per prescription. Some don't though. You don't need health insurance here.

In New Zealand the government fully funds most medications although the pharmacies will often charge a $5 NZD fee per prescription. Some don't though. You don't need health insurance here.

That’s great, it’s a non-issue here for people here who have a good paying job and good insurance, but sadly most people don’t have one or both of those things.

I still don't quite understand the American healthcare system, it's mind boggling that it remains privatized the way it is. Healthcare is a right, not a privilege, it should be covered without question. I am in the fortunate position of having insurance the covers a huge portion of the things I need medically, which sadly is a lot, if I didn't have the insurance I have I would be paying for 10 medications, 8 vials of insulin that currently cost $272/vial, a CPAP machine with CPAP supplies, a lymphedema pump, an insulin pump and insulin pump supplies and various other expenses. It's ludicrous the amount things cost!! When I was 25 or so I had to be hospitalized and have surgery to remove a growth in the passageway leading away from kidney (ureter), I had insurance then and I STILL had a bill of over $30k afterwards. It's just insane to ask people to cover that.

That’s great, it’s a non-issue here for people here who have a good paying job and good insurance, but sadly most people don’t have one or both of those things.
Even with insurance it can be a scary, scary prospect needing medical help!

Do you have a "community clinic" in your area where the charges are based on your income?

Create an account or login to post a reply

You must be a member in order to post a reply

Create an account

Create an account here on Off Topix. It's quick & easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom