What's new
Off Topix

Off Topix is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public way back in 2009! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to pique your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.

How many times have you had Covid?

None.
I've been tested one time; required prior to surgery. Test was negative.
Yes, I got vaccinated and wore a mask. Not that N95 thing......toooo uncomfortable.

Once. It wasn't too bad.

Once as far as I know. I contracted it from some jack off at Disneyland.

None as of yet. Don't want it. In 2021, I got really sick but after getting tested more than once at different places, it wasn't covid.

Once, a little over a year ago.

Had been calling out of work and taking at-home tests but they kept coming back negative. Finally went to the clinic to get a flu test instead just so I could have something to show work. While I was there they ran a COVID test too. The flu test came back positive so they figured that's what it was and sent me off. Then five minutes later they started blowing up my phone, "WAIT! Your COVID test just came back positive too!" :LOL:

I'm in the zero club! I know it's going to happen someday, but have been fortunate that it hasn't.

Hey, did you see the news article about the nose pickers in Europe who got Covid the most? I'm totally serious!

Just once (in December 2022).

Fortunately, my case was mild - but nevertheless, it ruined my Christmas...

Well, COVID’s all good now.
Also masks don’t protect you properly. You need FP standard masks that provide that clean ventilation .

COVID is the norm now. Not too bothered by it anymore anyways.

Glad you're doing okay!

Yeah, masks aren't effective since you can still get the virus through your eyes.

knocking on wood... my wooden head... when i say i haven't had covid once. when it first hit and school shut down, i just kinda hunkered down. didn't go hide out in a cave. just didn't do much of anything. did what the EXPERTS said would help... hand washing, hand sanitizer, distancing, mask, etc. didn't freak out and not one of those conspiracy theorists that want to make the whole thing political... i don't think germs have a political affiliation.

here in middle of NJ, if school hasn't already started.if will open for the 23-24 school years within the next few days. i won't be shocked if/when covid cases increase some just because of the cloeness of school students/teachers/staff.

will get flu shot soon... within next month or so. i wonder if regular flu and covid will become one shot?

I'm pretty sure I am a symptomless spreader of the virus as working with COVID patients since the start has caused my entire shift to go down with it about 2-3 times, but not I. Perhaps my hygiene process is amazing and my PPE always fits perfectly, but I have doubts lol. Granted having a background in hazmat and chemical response really helps with staying safe against a virus as well since the common PPE training and methods stay the same.

Granted having a background in hazmat and chemical response really helps with staying safe against a virus as well since the common PPE training and methods stay the same.
Just out of curiosity, how so?

I'm pretty sure I am a symptomless spreader of the virus as working with COVID patients since the start has caused my entire shift to go down with it about 2-3 times, but not I. Perhaps my hygiene process is amazing and my PPE always fits perfectly, but I have doubts lol.
What kinda PPE did you use? What kinda mask? Was it FP-3 or above standards?

What kinda PPE did you use? What kinda mask? Was it FP-3 or above standards?
For COVID? We used surgical masks when no COVID was suspected to protect the patient from us and if COVID was suspected we used N95s or PAPRs to protect us from the patient. Our surgical masks were always an ASTM level 3 rating (your standard healthcare level), and our N95's are of course N95 rated (which is about equal to the EU's FP-3 standard).

N95's (or your FP-3) are not appropriate in many cases as they are one-way masks, where surgical masks are two-way masks. This is a massive difference in filtering as one way mask DO NOT filter the air you are exhaling. This is why they are not allowed in surgeries and only used when required in healthcare as they only protect the wearer and respiratory patients can not wear a filter mask. Yes, surgical masks are not on the same level as N95s for filtering incoming air, but since COIVD is water droplet spread, their level is more than appropriate for most cases as N95s are only needed for airborne threats. Yes, you can make COVID airborne, but only under high pressure oxygen, to which you would hopefully know since we are the ones giving it. If we did decide to aerosol it, we then need our N95s, eye protection, and a gown was preferred if you did not want a chemical bath.

Honestly the largest misconception that people have about masking is that they have some strange belief that the masking is designed to protect them from the virus. It is to limit the spread as the masks catches the water droplets and as long as you are not fingering your mask (which seemed oddly hard to get people not to do) the particles are therefore stuck until the mask is disposed of.

For COVID? We used surgical masks when no COVID was suspected to protect the patient from us and if COVID was suspected we used N95s or PAPRs to protect us from the patient. Our surgical masks were always an ASTM level 3 rating (your standard healthcare level), and our N95's are of course N95 rated (which is about equal to the EU's FP-3 standard).

N95's (or your FP-3) are not appropriate in many cases as they are one-way masks, where surgical masks are two-way masks. This is a massive difference in filtering as one way mask DO NOT filter the air you are exhaling. This is why they are not allowed in surgeries and only used when required in healthcare as they only protect the wearer and respiratory patients can not wear a filter mask. Yes, surgical masks are not on the same level as N95s for filtering incoming air, but since COIVD is water droplet spread, their level is more than appropriate for most cases as N95s are only needed for airborne threats. Yes, you can make COVID airborne, but only under high pressure oxygen, to which you would hopefully know since we are the ones giving it. If we did decide to aerosol it, we then need our N95s, eye protection, and a gown was preferred if you did not want a chemical bath.

Honestly the largest misconception that people have about masking is that they have some strange belief that the masking is designed to protect them from the virus. It is to limit the spread as the masks catches the water droplets and as long as you are not fingering your mask (which seemed oddly hard to get people not to do) the particles are therefore stuck until the mask is disposed of.
Agreed and that is the reason i asked. I recall seeing surgical masks boasting that they filter air particles that we breathe… whereas masks made for standard population usage kinda just makes it more uncomfortable for you to breathe while reducing the amount of air exhaled but it doesn’t reduce the chances of you catching it. In fact I read it increases the chances actually, as the particles would remain on the mask.

So while minimising the risk to others, it maximises the risk to yourself. Of course no one will want to wear the mask in that instance, due to the domino effect. It would only be effective at risk reduction if *everyone* wore the mask really, but not everyone cares to follow rules and some will circumvent rules at any cost - for example, I’ll see ppl not wearing masks properly but will cover their faces properly merely upon checks.

knocking on wood... my wooden head... when i say i haven't had covid once. when it first hit and school shut down, i just kinda hunkered down. didn't go hide out in a cave. just didn't do much of anything. did what the EXPERTS said would help... hand washing, hand sanitizer, distancing, mask, etc. didn't freak out and not one of those conspiracy theorists that want to make the whole thing political... i don't think germs have a political affiliation.

here in middle of NJ, if school hasn't already started.if will open for the 23-24 school years within the next few days. i won't be shocked if/when covid cases increase some just because of the cloeness of school students/teachers/staff.

will get flu shot soon... within next month or so. i wonder if regular flu and covid will become one shot?

I really hope that the flu and covid shot are not put into one! The covid shot did horrible things to me and I regret taking it because now I have to suffer for the rest of my life :(

I really hope that the flu and covid shot are not put into one! The covid shot did horrible things to me and I regret taking it because now I have to suffer for the rest of my life :(
Oh so sorry to hear :( !
Honestly? Based on https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66424582 and even prior to this, I always assumed it was misinformation or rare cases.
So thanks for sharing! May I ask what vaccine you had, how many doses and the negative impact you believe it resulted in?

The odds of this would be very unlikely. They are different virus families and mixing two different types of viruses is far from common practice in vaccines. Granted, not impossible like the MMR vaccine being a mix.

Granted, not impossible like the MMR vaccine being a mix.
Just TMI for some little bodies to absorb all at once. :) I had a young child that had a bad reaction to that one; they then cut the following doses in half. She got over it just fine, but it was nonetheless scary for a young mother.

The odds of this would be very unlikely. They are different virus families and mixing two different types of viruses is far from common practice in vaccines. Granted, not impossible like the MMR vaccine being a mix.
There are many coronaviruses out there that ezisted prior to COVID-19. However, not all flus are caused by coronaviruses

Never.

Ashley Olsen Eye Roll GIF by Filmeditor

Have the antibodies.

Supposedly a new "pandemic" is due to occur. Don't quote me on that considering my source is not so reliable.

Oh so sorry to hear :( !
Honestly? Based on https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66424582 and even prior to this, I always assumed it was misinformation or rare cases.
So thanks for sharing! May I ask what vaccine you had, how many doses and the negative impact you believe it resulted in?

I had the Moderna shot. The first one I got and within my 15 minutes I started to have small symptoms. I went up to the ENT to let him know, but he said since I was still able to speak that I was fine and I could go home and take a Benadryl. That's not cool because later I see that the name brand Benadryl contains PEG...the allergen that people have that's in the Moderna and one of the other vaccines...sorry can't remember it this morning.

I did what he said, but it took a while for the symptoms to go away that day.

THEN the 2nd shot, I was at an outdoor clinic and we waited the half hour like they told us since I had a reaction from the first. Nothing happened and we began to drive home and then my tongue started to tingle. Then my lips. Then I could barely speak!! We were in the direction of the hospital, so at that point on the expressway, it was easier to go forward then to try to turn around in lunch traffic and return to the outdoor clinic. I had taken my antihistamines prior to getting the vaccine and they had kicked in by the time we reached the exit for the hospital. We drove around slowly without going into the ER because it's a 12 hour wait for the ER and I didn't want to pay a thousand dollars for them to tell me I was breathing again. So we went home and my husband monitored me.

Since then, I've had severe allergic reactions to anything with PEG in it. If you look around your house, you'll probably see there are a great many things that contain PEG; soaps, shampoos, dishwashing liquids, lotions, medications, etc...

I joined 2 Facebook groups for this and we're getting more people joining every day with the same symptoms. It's not as rare as they think and I believe that people who are having reactions aren't even aware of what's going on.

Just TMI for some little bodies to absorb all at once. :) I had a young child that had a bad reaction to that one; they then cut the following doses in half. She got over it just fine, but it was nonetheless scary for a young mother.
I have always personally felt like they did a horrible job at informing the public about the vaccine and such. I don't view the vaccine has anymore dangerous then any other vaccine, but the media made it sound like it was full proof and people would have no issues. There are still people that die from getting the flu vaccine and that is one of the most researched vaccine we offer, so it is a bit silly to stress that this one would be foolproof. Granted the politicians made this 1000x worse than it needed to be for getting information to the public.

I also always wondered if they lied about the effectiveness of the vaccine. Not that it doesn't work, as it does, but every previous RNA vaccine struggled with poor effectiveness and generally aren't used as other methods proved more effective. So it always struck me as off that the COVID vaccine, which was rushed, ended up 3 to 4 times, as effective as any of the others. But I suppose that is a conspiracy for another day.

I had the Moderna shot. The first one I got and within my 15 minutes I started to have small symptoms. I went up to the ENT to let him know, but he said since I was still able to speak that I was fine and I could go home and take a Benadryl. That's not cool because later I see that the name brand Benadryl contains PEG...the allergen that people have that's in the Moderna and one of the other vaccines...sorry can't remember it this morning.

I did what he said, but it took a while for the symptoms to go away that day.

THEN the 2nd shot, I was at an outdoor clinic and we waited the half hour like they told us since I had a reaction from the first. Nothing happened and we began to drive home and then my tongue started to tingle. Then my lips. Then I could barely speak!! We were in the direction of the hospital, so at that point on the expressway, it was easier to go forward then to try to turn around in lunch traffic and return to the outdoor clinic. I had taken my antihistamines prior to getting the vaccine and they had kicked in by the time we reached the exit for the hospital. We drove around slowly without going into the ER because it's a 12 hour wait for the ER and I didn't want to pay a thousand dollars for them to tell me I was breathing again. So we went home and my husband monitored me.

Since then, I've had severe allergic reactions to anything with PEG in it. If you look around your house, you'll probably see there are a great many things that contain PEG; soaps, shampoos, dishwashing liquids, lotions, medications, etc...

I joined 2 Facebook groups for this and we're getting more people joining every day with the same symptoms. It's not as rare as they think and I believe that people who are having reactions aren't even aware of what's going on.
That's a minor horror story! I see that PEG was also used in the Pfizer vaccine, so there was not much of a choice either way. :cautious:
My adult son had a bad reaction to his second Pfizer shot; but the problem was pretty quickly solved in that case as two young, healthy adult males in Japan died from reaction to this batch of vaccine........a batch sent to Japan from -- France, maybe. Some kind of foreign metallic substance was discovered.
But in your case, you had to be a virtual private investigator to figure it out.

Good to hear that you're still ticking! 💗

I only got Covid once last year in July and it absolutely sucked. It was over the fourth of July weekend, and I missed out on holiday pay at work because of it. >_< It started off as a bad cough that wouldn't go away. It eventually did, but then I started feeling out of it and it felt like a cold. I took a test and the first one was negative, then the next day I took another one and it came back positive. The fourth of July I had really bad chills, I was shivering so much despite being underneath a heavy comforter. I was out of work for a week and even the first day I came back I was still a bit weak. I finally felt 100% after a week and a few days.

I only got Covid once last year in July and it absolutely sucked. It was over the fourth of July weekend, and I missed out on holiday pay at work because of it. >_< It started off as a bad cough that wouldn't go away. It eventually did, but then I started feeling out of it and it felt like a cold. I took a test and the first one was negative, then the next day I took another one and it came back positive. The fourth of July I had really bad chills, I was shivering so much despite being underneath a heavy comforter. I was out of work for a week and even the first day I came back I was still a bit weak. I finally felt 100% after a week and a few days.
Holiday pay? You get paid for untaken holiday every year? Here in the UK, we only get paid for untaken holiday if we resign or are dismissed from the job in the middle of the year.

Also don’t you get sick pay for when you are unwell?

Create an account or login to post a reply

You must be a member in order to post a reply

Create an account

Create an account here on Off Topix. It's quick & easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom