What's new
Off Topix

Off Topix is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public way back in 2009! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to pique your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.

Can you play chess?

In grade school I used to play chess with a friend of mine cause I didn't get a long with others at play time. Wasn't bad at it, wasn't good at it either.

In grade school I used to play chess with a friend of mine cause I didn't get a long with others at play time. Wasn't bad at it, wasn't good at it either.
I am either really good at it or I just haven't had a good opponent. :p

As an update to my previous post, I just hit a new personal best rating, of 1405.

Whether I can stay in the 1400s is another matter, but I'm glad to have got there!

Right now, my Chess.com Rapid rating sits at 1511.

One of the problems I have is that my record against the Sicilian Defence is abysmal. (I usually play the Smith-Morra Gambit against it, but I play it pretty badly :p . So, I'm weighing up whether to try and get better at playing the Smith-Morra, or just to play something else. As a Formula One fan, I quite like the sound of the Grand Prix Attack, for the name alone!)

I used to play it a lot in my younger years and likely still can today, but I might need to refresh on the rules.

Side note, I always wanted a battle chess follow-up, mostly a digital chess game that had animations when making moves and battle animations when taking pieces.

I used to play it a lot in my younger years and likely still can today, but I might need to refresh on the rules.

Side note, I always wanted a battle chess follow-up, mostly a digital chess game that had animations when making moves and battle animations when taking pieces.
Ah yes, I remember that Lego Chess had something similar - although I suspect the animations will have been quite different from those in Battle Chess!

To the original question.. yes & relative to my recent competition (my 13yo son) I am quite good. Lol.

Do you go easy on him?
No opportunity to sweep the leg will go unused... in truth, I don't go easy on him per se - what I do is explain what I see and why I think the counter is a good move. This way he picks it up quicker and, hopefully soon, beats me on his own. We're trying to raise a 2.0!

I can, Not the greatest, havent played much. I can get by but i get the concept

Create an account or login to post a reply

You must be a member in order to post a reply

Create an account

Create an account here on Off Topix. It's quick & easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom