What's new
Off Topix

Off Topix is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public way back in 2009! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to pique your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.

Credit Card Vs. Debit Card

nomad

Dedicated Member

When you use a credit card, you use the bank's money. You are given a payment window of 40-45 days to pay the bills, until then you can use the bank's money under the card limit. When you use a debit card, you use your own money, you can only use the amount that you have on your card. However, you don't have to worry about paying it back because it's your money that you used.

I have both. I usually will use my credit cards for most purchases because I earn cash-back rewards for purchases.

Also credit cards keep you safer from identity thieves. If an identity thief gets ahold of your credit card, you can just report that to the card issuer and they'll reverse the charges. If someone gets ahold of your debit card they can empty your entire bank account and you're screwed.

I have a debit card. Don't like credit cards and never have done.

They encourage you to spend more than you can afford.

They encourage you to spend more than you can afford.
They can't encourage you to do anything, they're an inanimate object made of plastic. Lol.. But yeah I get what you are saying, some people don't have self control when it comes to that sort of thing and will just spend spend spend. I mainly use mine for little things like groceries and gas/petrol & pay them off in full every month. Helps my credit score.

I just have a debit card. I haven't had a credit card since my divorce. I guess I could get one and not use it and just pay the annual fee.

I just have a debit card. I haven't had a credit card since my divorce. I guess I could get one and not use it and just pay the annual fee.
None of mine have annual fees, and if you pay of the credit card in full you wont get any interest fees, but you'll get the cash back rewards from using them. My credit cards are essentially free and give me free money while improving my credit score at the same time.

Nah 100% that has to happen.
Fly to San Francisco and I'll show you all the cool stuff around there. I don't live there but I am within driving distance. The actual city I live in is extremely boring. :LOL:

Fly to San Francisco and I'll show you all the cool stuff around there. I don't live there but I am within driving distance. The actual city I live in is extremely boring. :LOL:
Nah i would 100% wanna go to Cali

Nah i would 100% wanna go to Cali

UK people love it here. I actually used to rent a room from a British woman who relocated here. I often encounter people with British accents while out and about.

I think it would be a lot better if more positive things were spread through the media, the world would be a better place.
At least throw a good mix of good stuff in with the bad news.

I use both as well although I only use a credit card to build up my credit history. I recently got an American Express card as well and that's getting a lot of use now because of the points system they have. I always pay off my balance in a month to make sure I don't have to pay any interest

I use both as well although I only use a credit card to build up my credit history. I recently got an American Express card as well and that's getting a lot of use now because of the points system they have. I always pay off my balance in a month to make sure I don't have to pay any interest
Is American Express widely accepted where you are? I never applied for one of those because most places just take Visa, Discover, MasterCard

Is American Express widely accepted where you are? I never applied for one of those because most places just take Visa, Discover, MasterCard
So far, only one place has rejected it because they don't accept it. I've tried it out in 3 other physical stores and it's worked there so doesn't seem to be as big an issue anymore. I think if I tried a few years ago, I definitely would have had a few more problems.

So far, only one place has rejected it because they don't accept it. I've tried it out in 3 other physical stores and it's worked there so doesn't seem to be as big an issue anymore. I think if I tried a few years ago, I definitely would have had a few more problems.
I am in America and hardly any places take American Express :LOL:

I will always use my credit cards before I use my debit cards.

I finally just got my first credit card, I've been 100% debit my whole life until now. :p

I use a debit card.
Here in Australia we have zip & afterpay now.

Credit cards can actually be an awesome way to pay for things if you are able to get good cards and are disciplined enough to not hold a balance on them. Paying you bills with a card that gives 3% cash back is an easy way to save 3% on all your bills. Plus you can do the same with travel points and the like. Granted, if you are not disciplined, then those 15-30% interest rates murder that whole idea.

I think credit scores are a joke, mainly the narrative that your life is defined by a credit score. Credit is a way to ensure greedy companies always make their money, preying on the younger generation especially because after I've "aged out" of the fresh out of high school, just starting college age range, I entirely stopped receiving 100s of credit card offers in the mail. I got myself into a fair amount of credit card debt, I really thought I had the hang of things and as soon as my income was rocky it was out of control with the fees and interest accumulated. You don't think it would happen to you until it does.

Credit cards are great for cash back, and if you're the type of person who is budget mindful and rather pay lower or no cost upfront for big loans like emergency, vehicle, mortgage, and for rental background checks. They can be super useful but so many people don't have the education and good habit building methods to be successful with them.

Can't really go wrong with a debit card (besides overdraft) just the bank that you choose! I think both credit & debit are essential for different reasons. Main thing is always making sure that balance is paid in full and deciding if you will be able to pay all of that extra $ if you otherwise can't stay caught up.

Create an account or login to post a reply

You must be a member in order to post a reply

Create an account

Create an account here on Off Topix. It's quick & easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom