What's new
Off Topix

Off Topix is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public way back in 2009! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to pique your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.

Do you know how to cook?

I am able to cook, yes. I learned all that I know from my mum and my grandma and the one dish I love to cook that is a favorite for all the family is Enchiladas. I sometimes get asked to make them multiple times a week but I decline as I know that if we had them to frequently we would get fed up with it so we only have it about once a week if that.

Perhaps, although it seems I've always had a dislike for cooking.
I feel this too tbh. I don't like cooking a whole lot which probably is why I eat out so much. I need to stop doing that, tbh. It's such a hard habit to cut.

You will not be disappointed with an air fryer!
I've done bratwurst in it, chicken nuggets, french fries, and so many other things. The best thing ever

Do you know how to cook? What is your favorite dish to make?
Yes I know how, but, ever since I had a stroke back in June of 2017, my husband did all of the cooking, coz the stroke affected my vision and my memory. But now, I am able to do more, especially with the help of my youngest daughter, and newer glasses to read better as well. My husband mainly does the cooking, and I try at times to help him as well. I however, really enjoy baking now. :yes:

Yes I know how, but, ever since I had a stroke back in June of 2017, my husband did all of the cooking, coz the stroke affected my vision and my memory. But now, I am able to do more, especially with the help of my youngest daughter, and newer glasses to read better as well. My husband mainly does the cooking, and I try at times to help him as well. I however, really enjoy baking now. :yes:

Sorry to hear about your stroke. Glad your husband and daughter are around to help!

Sorry to hear about your stroke. Glad your husband and daughter are around to help!

Thank you Nebulous!
At that time, my 3 daughters took turns on the weekends to help, but my youngest daughter would always spend an entire weekend. As she spent the most time teaching me how to read again. She had a lot of patience. Plus 9 months before I had my stroke, she had a heart attack. So we were helping each other through this difficult time.

What is your favorite dish to make?

MrPawn, I enjoy so many dishes that I can't just pick one. But, years ago I cooked bratwurst, hot dogs & sauerkraut together, and especially enjoyed it! :drool:

I have often wondered if my own food is giving me food poisoning

I am 90 percent sure it is. I cook really badly and even manage to fail at toast.

At least you try, and that's all that matters.
And a good cookbook or a great recipe website as well.
:bighug:

I can cook at an ok level, but I wasn't trained as a cook.

PGen98, I too wasn't trained as a cook, but I kept on trying. As I love food and learning to cook/bake and do some canning on my own. It also helped that our city's library had a lot of wonderful cookbooks at that time while I was learning to cook.

Indeed. However I like having something different! So I'd make 2 huge meals and alternate between leftovers. :p

Not well enough considering I mostly eat out and have TV dinners.
Cory, I truly enjoy TV Dinners! :ws:

If reheating already-cooked food in the microwave and/or oven counts as 'cooking' then, yes. :p
I see some ones quite a character!

PGen98, I too wasn't trained as a cook, but I kept on trying. As I love food and learning to cook/bake and do some canning on my own. It also helped that our city's library had a lot of wonderful cookbooks at that time while I was learning to cook.
This is essentially how I'm learning, too. Recipes I can follow or pure experimentation. It's fun!!

Yes, I would say I can cook! Ever since I moved out of my parents and had to fend for myself, it's something I took an interest in as I didn't want to be eating the same boring meals week in week out and I definitely didn't want to be living out of the freezer. I've just had a new kitchen installed and it's reignited my drive to cook well and eat better, so I've started looking up more recipes and watching content on YouTube to vary my meals and use ingredients in different ways, I made Chimichurri Chicken the other day for the first time (following a Chef on YouTube) and I would definitely make it again!

Yes, I would say I can cook! Ever since I moved out of my parents and had to fend for myself, it's something I took an interest in as I didn't want to be eating the same boring meals week in week out and I definitely didn't want to be living out of the freezer. I've just had a new kitchen installed and it's reignited my drive to cook well and eat better, so I've started looking up more recipes and watching content on YouTube to vary my meals and use ingredients in different ways, I made Chimichurri Chicken the other day for the first time (following a Chef on YouTube) and I would definitely make it again!

🍓 Strawberry, I certainly give you credit for all that you are doing on your own. I wish you all the best that life has to offer you. I'm also sending you a 'hug"!! :hug:
I hope that was ok! I'm a mom, a hugger, that what I do!

🍓 Strawberry, I certainly give you credit for all that you are doing on your own. I wish you all the best that life has to offer you. I'm also sending you a 'hug"!! :hug:
I hope that was ok! I'm a mom, a hugger, that what I do!

Aww you're too nice! I think I've made that post sound a bit more dramatic than it was haha - I moved out of my parents to go and live with my partner when I was 24, but up until that point I literally got everything done for me when I lived at home... cooking, cleaning, washing etc. So it was a journey to have to do these things, but I really enjoy cooking and learning new recipes.

Aww you're too nice! I think I've made that post sound a bit more dramatic than it was haha - I moved out of my parents to go and live with my partner when I was 24, but up until that point I literally got everything done for me when I lived at home... cooking, cleaning, washing etc. So it was a journey to have to do these things, but I really enjoy cooking and learning new recipes.
:hi: 🍓.
Since I am a mother... I still wish you the best on your endeavor. If we lived in the same city... I'd either bake you a cake or some cookies. Coz I enjoy baking. Take care!

Odd little "welcome to the club" coincidence going on here. :D
Soon after Mother's Day in 2017 I was diagnosed with a stroke. Long story short, four months later after more testing and study it was decided that I had not had a stroke, but an initial MS attack instead. Good news/Bad news....I really can't decide.
Many similarities.

Soon after Mother's Day in 2017 I was diagnosed with a stroke. Long story short, four months later after more testing and study it was decided that I had not had a stroke, but an initial MS attack instead. Good news/Bad news....I really can't decide.
Many similarities.
:hug:

Many similarities
Oh my goodness... at times it can be quite confusing for sure. 🙄

Many similarities.

passenger, In regards to your post... "coincidence going on here." So sorry to hear you had "initial MS attack".
I hope you are doing well❓ :hug:

passenger, In regards to your post... "coincidence going on here." So sorry to hear you had "initial MS attack".
I hope you are doing well❓ :hug:
Thank You!
Yes, I have recovered so much more than I ever expected to, thanks to physical and occupational therapy, and the careful use of steroids; and of course having a most helpful and understanding husband in this time of distress. :cool: But of course, some damage remains...I walk like a drunk, but am not, my balance seems to be permanently off; I like to say that my Gyro is broken. :D I am at times literally a "dizzy dame" due to "touch and go" optic damage. "Stuff" has definitely slowed me down, but I have regained the ability to walk without a walker or wheelchair! And, I can drive....which is very important to me because I am an independent, stubborn old blister. :LOL:
In that 'initial' attack, my whole right side went out; I very simply could not do anything...could not write, type, brush my teeth, dress or bathe myself. Then after I had started recovering I had a go-round with Bell's Palsy; I thought that was an independent thing, but the neurologist said it was a result of the MS.

Sooo....when you had your stroke were you able to get that medication that will reverse all or some of the damage?

Thank You!
Yes, I have recovered so much more than I ever expected to, thanks to physical and occupational therapy, and the careful use of steroids; and of course having a most helpful and understanding husband in this time of distress. :cool: But of course, some damage remains...I walk like a drunk, but am not, my balance seems to be permanently off; I like to say that my Gyro is broken. :D I am at times literally a "dizzy dame" due to "touch and go" optic damage. "Stuff" has definitely slowed me down, but I have regained the ability to walk without a walker or wheelchair! And, I can drive....which is very important to me because I am an independent, stubborn old blister. :LOL:
In that 'initial' attack, my whole right side went out; I very simply could not do anything...could not write, type, brush my teeth, dress or bathe myself. Then after I had started recovering I had a go-round with Bell's Palsy; I thought that was an independent thing, but the neurologist said it was a result of the MS.

Sooo....when you had your stroke were you able to get that medication that will reverse all or some of the damage?
Passenger, In regards to your last statement/question, there is nothing that can undo what had happened to cause the stroke. At least in my case. Everyone who has a stroke, is affected differently. Not going into details, which it would be too lengthy, but I wish it never happened, I miss doing the things I once could; and on my own, for the love and support of my husband such as driving a car and being able to read better than I do now. But I've come a long way, and I am grateful for all my husband and our youngest daughters help.

I can make the basic food that I eat at home. This is something that I have always enjoyed doing. Eating the food that I prepared give a different satisfaction to me.

Nebulous, here's some goodies coming your way... 🥧 🧁 🍰 🍩 🍪 😘
Awww, thank you! :heart:
Thank You!

Passenger, In regards to your last statement/question, there is nothing that can undo what had happened to cause the stroke. At least in my case. Everyone who has a stroke, is affected differently. Not going into details, which it would be too lengthy, but I wish it never happened, I miss doing the things I once could; and on my own, for the love and support of my husband such as driving a car and being able to read better than I do now. But I've come a long way, and I am grateful for all my husband and our youngest daughters help.
I love cooking! I specialize in Chinese and Mexican dishes.
Chinese food uses a bunch of ingredients I am not familiar with. Would be interesting to try making something using some new stuff.

Create an account or login to post a reply

You must be a member in order to post a reply

Create an account

Create an account here on Off Topix. It's quick & easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom