What's new
Off Topix

Off Topix is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public way back in 2009! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to pique your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.

House = money pits

Randy

Aw, awww!
Thread Creator

For many people, their biggest investment is their house or apartment.

Why do people put so much money into this investment?

It's their domicile, their legacy in some cases. You want to be comfortable and feel content in where you live, so it makes sense to put money into your house to make sure you love your home

For me, it's always been about the freedom to make your own decisions and the end goal of owning the property. Renting was alright and I rented a couple of nice flats, but I couldn't have done it forever and it was really restricting about what you were allowed to change. I'm currently in the process of renovating my house, the kitchen was finished a couple of months ago and it felt great to be able to plan exactly what I wanted it to look like and what features I wanted, I'm super pleased with how it turned out... and with that I've added more value onto my house too. I still have the bathroom to do, which fingers crossed will be later in the year, but it's not urgent as the current bathroom is functional. I may not be in this house forever, but at the moment I've got it the way I want it and I love showing it off too.

My house... but only because I like proving the world wrong and doing my own repairs. Self taught plumbing, electrical, hvac, appliance repair, etc. becuase why should I pay someone $400+ for a $20 part and an hour's worth of time?

Well, you have to keep up with maintenance and repair otherwise you could wind up with more costly repairs. Seems human nature to want to decorate one's nest. And your home is where your real life is. So we all want it to be as comfortable as possible.

Sadly, given the state of things and how effed up the housing market is and will continue to be, I will never be able to own a home. So I don't really have to worry about it!

We bought a house in 2017. I love having my own place!

nd goal of owning the property. Renting was alright and I rented a couple of nice flats, but I couldn't have done it forever and it was really restricting about what you were allowed to change. I'm currently in the process of renovating my house, the kitchen was finished a couple of months ago and it felt great to be able to plan exactly what I wanted it to look like and what features I wanted, I'm super pleased with how it turned out... and with that I've added more value onto my house too. I still have the bathroom to do, which fingers crossed will be later in the year, but it's not urgent as the current bathroom is functional. I may not be in this house forever, but at the moment I've got it the way I want it and I love showing it off too.
Come do mine next! :D
My house... but only because I like proving the world wrong and doing my own repairs. Self taught plumbing, electrical, hvac, appliance repair, etc. becuase why should I pay someone $400+ for a $20 part and an hour's worth of time?
Nice, I usually mess things up more and end up paying the repair man WAY more money than if I would have called him first. :p
We bought a house in 2017. I love having my own place!
I bought mine in 2020. :highfive:

Nice, I usually mess things up more and end up paying the repair man WAY more money than if I would have called him first. :p
I mean if you're ever stuck I've been working on a series of guides lol.

Create an account or login to post a reply

You must be a member in order to post a reply

Create an account

Create an account here on Off Topix. It's quick & easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom