What's New
Off Topix: Embrace the Unexpected in Every Discussion

Off Topix is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public way back in 2009! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to pique your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.

Ohio 'Kidnapper' Castro Pleads Not Guilty

Jazzy

Wild Thing
Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2010
Posts
79,918
OT Bucks
308,876
The Ohio man accused of holding three women captive in his home for a decade has pleaded not guilty as he appeared in court on hundreds of charges.

Ariel Castro faced a total of 329 counts at a brief arraignment hearing in Cleveland on Wednesday morning, including 139 rape allegations and two of aggravated murder of a victim's unborn child.

He shuffled into the courtroom in an orange prison jumpsuit with his head bowed and did not say a word.

His lawyer entered the plea on his behalf.

Prosecutors are still deciding whether to seek the death penalty for the 52-year-old, who also faces 177 kidnapping charges.

His $8m dollar bond was continued.

Gina DeJesus, 23, Michelle Knight, 32, and Amanda Berry, 27 - and the young daughter Berry gave birth to during her captivity - were freed from Castro's house in May.

A neighbour heard Berry calling for help and helped her escape by kicking in the door to Castro's home in Cleveland.

The three women were each abducted separately - Ms Knight in 2002, Ms Berry in 2003 and Ms DeJesus in 2004.

A 142-page indictment included accounts of what happened to the kidnapped women including assaults, rapes, and torture up to 2007.

It is thought more charges could be added for the remaining years.

Prosecutors say the three women suffered repeated beatings, were bound and restrained and sexually assaulted, and never allowed to leave Castro's home.

Cuyahoga County prosecutor Timothy McGinty previously called Castro's home "a torture chamber and private prison", adding: "The horrific brutality and torture that the victims endured for a decade is beyond comprehension."

Castro's lawyer has urged the public not to rush to judgement.

"He's not a monster and he shouldn't be demonised by the media," the lawyer said.

Source

It always amazes me when people plead not guilty. Why prolong the inevitable?
 
Why not? He might as well try, it's not like he's really wasting his own time.
Pointless though it may be, it doesn't cost him anything, in fact, it just gives him something to do :dontknow:
 
Evil Eye said:
it doesn't cost him anything
That's right. It's the taxpayers that are footing the bill.
 
Back
Top Bottom