What's new
Off Topix

Off Topix is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public way back in 2009! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to pique your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.

Perks of being single?

Crushing loneliness...

Absolute freedom to do and be where you want to be at all times, more financial freedom, no drama/arguing, and more time to attend to what you enjoy.

Source: Been single all of my life, but indeed, there are cons too.

As our friend Cory said, freedom. No one to boss you around or tell you off. You can do your own thing without having to either rely on another person or consider them. You can go wherever you please and return whenever you please without running the gauntlet of 'You're late' and similar.

Where I disagree with Cory is the 'cons' bit. The single life is a series of 'pros' to me. Loneliness is a concept I have never understood, an emotion I've never felt. I'm an extreme loner and I prefer it that way as I'm not a people person.

I've been with my partner for 6.5 years and I couldn't imagine being single again. Because he works and I can't work yet due to personal stuff so if I was single I would have less money.

Where I disagree with Cory is the 'cons' bit. The single life is a series of 'pros' to me. Loneliness is a concept I have never understood, an emotion I've never felt. I'm an extreme loner and I prefer it that way as I'm not a people person.
I get lonely from time to time, but I think my biggest issue is dealing with boredom since I'm not a man of many interests.

Absolute freedom to do and be where you want to be at all times, more financial freedom, no drama/arguing, and more time to attend to what you enjoy.

No one to boss you around or tell you off.

:ponder:

I am not single and...
  • I can do and be where I want to be at all times
  • I have financial freedom
  • I deal with no drama and we're never arguing
  • I have all the time in the world to attend to what I enjoy
  • Nobody bosses me around
  • Nobody tells me off
I am thinking you're imagining being in relationships with controlling people or jerks. Don't get with those types of people and you'd be fine.

It wasn't a partner who bossed me around, it was my parents. This is one of the reasons I've never wanted to be in a relationship.

I am not single and...
  • I can do and be where I want to be at all times
  • I have financial freedom
  • I deal with no drama and we're never arguing
  • I have all the time in the world to attend to what I enjoy
  • Nobody bosses me around
  • Nobody tells me off
I am thinking you're imagining being in relationships with controlling people or jerks. Don't get with those types of people and you'd be fine.
All relationships are different, the points I posted are just general things that you might not be able to commit to if you were in a relationship.

As our friend Cory said, freedom. No one to boss you around or tell you off. You can do your own thing without having to either rely on another person or consider them. You can go wherever you please and return whenever you please without running the gauntlet of 'You're late' and similar.

Basically everything you said. I experience loneliness, but not in a romantic sense, and it's few and far between. I enjoy my time alone and require it to function like a normal human being.

It wasn't a partner who bossed me around, it was my parents. This is one of the reasons I've never wanted to be in a relationship.
Your relationship with your parents is a completely different thing tho.

All relationships are different, the points I posted are just general things that you might not be able to commit to if you were in a relationship.
Yes, if you get into a relationship where you feel stuck and controlled then get out of it.

I enjoy my time alone and require it to function like a normal human being.
Same here, thats why me and my partner have seperate bedrooms. I need my own space where I can shut the door, lock it and just have some alone time / privacy.

Your relationship with your parents is a completely different thing tho.

Yes, if you get into a relationship where you feel stuck and controlled then get out of it.

Same here, thats why me and my partner have seperate bedrooms. I need my own space where I can shut the door, lock it and just have some alone time / privacy.
If I ever, for some reason, end up in a relationship and decide to move in with the other person, it will require a separate bedroom haha.

If I ever, for some reason, end up in a relationship and decide to move in with the other person, it will require a separate bedroom haha.

Its nice, that's for sure. I got the idea from my grandparents. They had seperate rooms for their entire marriage. They had 3 kids so obviously they still shared intimate times but it worked best for them. Works good for me too.

In a previous relationship I shared a room. We also worked together. It was miserable. I had zero time to myself 24/7. No wonder my relationship with that person only lasted 3 years and my current one is lasting well over a decade with no plans on stopping.

Its nice, that's for sure. I got the idea from my grandparents. They had seperate rooms for their entire marriage. They had 3 kids so obviously they still shared intimate times but it worked best for them. Works good for me too.

In a previous relationship I shared a room. We also worked together. It was miserable. I had zero time to myself 24/7. No wonder my relationship with that person only lasted 3 years and my current one is lasting well over a decade with no plans on stopping.
I haven't slept in bed with another person for about 17 years. I don't think I could start doing it now and get comfortable with it. The thought makes me cringe.

I haven't slept in bed with another person for about 17 years. I don't think I could start doing it now and get comfortable with it. The thought makes me cringe.

I still sleep in a bed with my partner, he sneaks over to my bed on most nights... he knows not to come to my room if the door is closed though. :p

• Haha
Reactions: Dee
I still sleep in a bed with my partner, he sneaks over to my bed on most nights... he knows not to come to my room if the door is closed though. :p
I 'spose every now and then wouldn't be too bad. That sounds cute!

I understand that, but sometimes it's hard for some people to escape from relationships due to their own troubles or children being involved, etc. I know of a guy I used to work with that killed himself because his wife was abusing him, don't know how he didn't find a way out, but some things get out of control sometimes.

I understand that, but sometimes it's hard for some people to escape from relationships due to their own troubles or children being involved, etc. I know of a guy I used to work with that killed himself because his wife was abusing him, don't know how he didn't find a way out, but some things get out of control sometimes.
How sad. He could have found a way out if he really put his mind to it.

I had a child with someone ...and it was a toxic relationship so we broke up, which is a lot better than staying in that toxic relationship and having my child grow up in a house full of misery and unhappiness. Staying together for the children is rarely a good idea.

I had a child with someone ...and it was a toxic relationship so we broke up, which is a lot better than staying in that toxic relationship and having my child grow up in a house full of misery and unhappiness. Staying together for the children is rarely a good idea.
Glad you managed to find your way out of a toxic relationship. Not everyone does, or they're too afraid to speak up.

Glad you managed to find your way out of a toxic relationship. Not everyone does, or they're too afraid to speak up.

That’s true. Feel bad for those peeps.

I’ve never been like that, if I’m unhappy in a relationship I’ll put in the steps to make it work. If all my efforts fail and the relationship is still shitty, then I’m out.

Argue Peace Out GIF

I’ve never been like that, if I’m unhappy in a relationship I’ll put in the steps to make it work. If all my efforts fail and the relationship is still shitty, then I’m out.
That sounds like good morals to live by for a relationship.

Better dead than wed.

Gotta stand up for yourself and don't let people walk all over you.
Never was too good at this, probably due to low self-esteem. Everyone walked all over me when I was in school, thankfully most of us mature as we get older and don't have to deal with what we dealt with in school. There are still jerks everywhere though, so no telling when you need to be prepared for "flight or fight".

I'm too mentally unstable to be in a relationship
I feel this way too. Even though I'm on medication to help keep me sane, I'm still afraid my mental health issues would scare most people away.

I need my peace back, and I'm too mentally unstable to be in a relationship

I feel this way too. Even though I'm on medication to help keep me sane, I'm still afraid my mental health issues would scare most people away.

Makes sense to get yourselves in good working order before getting into relationship.

*raises eyebrow*
Right well one perk that's situational and hasn't been mentioned yet.
Nobody pushing you for physical intimacy when you're not in the mood for it. That goes for both genders btw having talked with people on both sides of the fence.

Create an account or login to post a reply

You must be a member in order to post a reply

Create an account

Create an account here on Off Topix. It's quick & easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom