What's new
Off Topix

Off Topix is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public way back in 2009! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to pique your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.

Too Intelligent For Education

Sinon

Gold Member

So, back in February I took an exam to see if I was eligible to retake my English qualification, as I received a D grade in school and many jobs here require a C or higher. I sat down to take the first part of the exam, and upon finishing part 1 I received 77%. I showed it to the tutor and he mentioned, in a roundabout way, that high scorers cannot take the full examination for free. That I should try and tone it down in order to receive a grade which enables me to take the exam.

I started to speed-read, and finished the second part of the exam with 84%. Fuck. However, I thought part three would be better. Parts one and two focused on reading comprehension and basic grammar/spelling, whereas part three was a listening exam with multiple-choice questions. How did I take the listening exam? I didn't. I selected answers at random, without turning the headphones on once. I figured that would net me a low score, since most of them had at least four possible answers. A 25% chance of success seemed good enough to guess. Grade comes back. 90%. Double fuck.

My overall grade was 84% (technically 83.6666667 but this is English, not Math). The maximum grade to be eligible for a free examination is 70%. As a result, I was told I can only take the exam if I go with the company privately, not through the work program I'm in. To take it privately costs "around £400" which is £390 more than I have right now. >.>

Tomorrow (later today technically) I am retaking the exam with a different company. My personal advisor from the job centre has told me in no uncertain terms I NEED to get a low grade in order to get in. I'm not planning on holding back this time, or guessing random answers though. I'm not ashamed, nor should I be penalized, for being smart. Eight years ago when I took the original exam, I got a D grade purely because I wasn't very good at interpretation. My spelling, my grammar, my creative writing assignments all received bare minimum of A- grades, with the majority reaching the A+ margin. I understand the English language. I know how to use it, most likely far better than the examiners themselves.

And yet... I failed. I didn't fail because I screwed around, I didn't fail because I didn't understand questions. I failed because I received what would be a passing grade if this country wasn't full of shit. I did badly in school for many reasons. I was bullied, I was going through a rebellious stage, or I just didn't care for the subject/s at hand. Or in the case of technology, I wasn't allowed extra time for my handcraft project, despite having a broken hand at the time (caused by being attacked with a wooden bat on school grounds by a bully).

/ramble

In short... I'm too smart to be educated. They do not want me circulating in the school system for no reason other than I don't fit in with those who lack my skills. They want failures so they can show improvement through tutoring, to prove the system works.

Knowledge is power... and power is a terrible curse in this world.

“Education develops the intellect; and the intellect distinguishes man from other creatures. It is education that enables man to harness nature and utilize her resources for the well-being and improvement of his life. The key for the betterment and completeness of modern living is education. But, ' Man cannot live by bread alone '. Man, after all, is also composed of intellect and soul. Therefore, education in general, and higher education in particular, must aim to provide, beyond the physical, food for the intellect and soul. That education which ignores man's intrinsic nature, and neglects his intellect and reasoning power can not be considered true education.”

- His Imperial Majesty Haile Selassie I, King of Kings, Lord of Lords, Conquering Lion of the Tribe of Judah, and Elect of God (1892 - 1975)

You're not too intelligent, the system just sucks.

How did you end up with a D if most parts were As? What sort of a calculation is that? o_O

Basically, my failures were in interpretation. You know, how you'd have to write a report on a book, or read a passage and explain what the author meant when they used certain forms of imagery. I didn't do well with those. My creative work on the other hand, is top notch. The tutor today brought up a good point though. Classes were split in two. English Literature and English Language. Yet I only got a basic English GCSE. Weird.

Couldn't you ask them why?
◢Dagger◣ said:
You know, how you'd have to write a report on a book, or read a passage and explain what the author meant when they used certain forms of imagery.
I hated that <.<

Create an account or login to post a reply

You must be a member in order to post a reply

Create an account

Create an account here on Off Topix. It's quick & easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom