What's new
Off Topix

Off Topix is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public way back in 2009! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to pique your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.

Web Hosting

Sinon

Gold Member

I can't think of a witty title, I;m too pissed off.

Years ago (read: 2005) I ran a reasonably successful general discussion forum. It went through a lot of incarnations. PHPBB2 using the free host Forumer, InvisionFree, Zetaboards, Jcink, and eventually vBulletin. As you may guess, it began as a freely-hosted site with a free domain given by the hosts. Eventually the traffic reached a level that I decided it was time to upgrade to paid hosting, and a paid domain name, to make it more professional. Plus with free hosting, there wasn't all that much I could do customization-wise without creating server slowdowns and other issues.

Enter 1and1 Internet Limited. They seemed pretty good--low price domain names, and reasonably good deals on hosting. So in 2008 I took the plunge and set it up. There were a few issues with them, but their customer service generally helped me through it and were quite friendly and useful.

Fast forward to 2010. The website I ran was on a massive decline, and I couldn't really warrant the upkeep for it. So I closed up shop, and sent through a cancellation order to the hosting company. I received confirmation that they had closed the account.

Fast forward to today, 2012. I receive a letter from 1and1 Internet Limited about an outstanding balance payment for the 12th September 2012. This seemed odd, as I closed the account down and was told it was gone. I called their customer service (And despite being a UK company I was greeted by an American named Samir) who was less than helpful. After much backtracking through old email accounts, reactivating various things, I managed to log in to my account, only to find that despite confirmation they never followed through with the closure. As a result I have to pay up because I have no proof that they told me it was closed originally. And why would I? It was two years ago, on an email account I no longer used.

So yeah. Word of warning, any of you budding forumites/site owners. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY.

This is a shame you have to pay. I, however, would have tested the account once they told me it was cancelled just to make sure. I never take anyone's word when I cancel accounts. Good example would be that I once had a Verizon cell phone. I wasn't happy with it so I called and cancelled service. I heard the other person on the line typing away. They then said: Done. Your phone will no longer be in service as of 5 pm today. At 6 pm that same day I called my cell phone number. You guessed it, the phone started ringing. I called back and after an hour on the phone, I was told the phone is now deactivated. I made them hold on while I called the cell number. This time the phone did not ring.

I'm going to bump this thread because I'm currently using 1 and 1 (or actually it's called ionos now.) I did use them in the past for registering my domain name, actually about a year after this thread was posted. I haven't had any issues with ionos, but maybe since they rebranded they are better now. I recommend ionos actually, I got a good deal on a year of hosting last year but they no longer offer $6 for a year anymore.

We use Hawk Host over here. They are great. :)

Create an account or login to post a reply

You must be a member in order to post a reply

Create an account

Create an account here on Off Topix. It's quick & easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom