What's new
Off Topix

Off Topix is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public way back in 2009! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to pique your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.

Yes I parked in a disabled bay...........

Raven

Platinum Member
Elite Member
Retired Moderator

Because I suffer from a disabling condition!!!!

Had to take some strong painkillers earlier for a bad headache/toothache Ive had for 2 days. One of the side effects is that is makes me anxious, and feel like I'm going to have a panic attack. Which in turn sets of my shake and my balance goes out the window. Go to smoke some mugwort to try and calm me down. No rizzlas or filters. :/

So to my point. I drive to the shop, park in the a disabled bay, wobble my way to the shop. When I come back the stares I got from people!!. I have no way of showing that I kind am disabled. Really pissed me off, have had people comment in the past. Or people look at me like I'm putting on the shakes. WTF WOULD I DO THAT?!?!?!!

Wish there was a badge or something that we could get. Blue Badges are almost impossible to get in the UK, but would be good to have sometrhing to put on the dashboard to show we are not just arseholes parking in the wrong bay!

AND THEN! When I get home, I roll my ciggy very badly, light it up and then they landlord and lady appear out of nowhere. Mugwort smells VERY similar to Weed! Great. They didn't say anything but shit!

I'm surprised you can even drive feeling like that. Here in the U.S. we get placards to hang from the mirror or we have handicap plates. Both, of course, require a note from a doctor to obtain. Really surprised it's so hard to get a Blue Badge if your doctor is willing to state you need one.

I am fine when I drive. It's when I walk around if I am having a very bad day, I need a walking stick these days.

In most US jurisdictions you can get a Temporary disability placard with a form submitted by your physician with little red tape involved, in some cases they're only good for 90 days or so.

I have no idea about the UK and its Health Service, but I would imagine they have something similar.

I think I am going to have to look further into it. I will be sending off for some Essential Tremor info cards tomorrow. The UK ET site is crap for sending out info, but the American site is really good.

Here you can be ticketed if you've parked there and you don't have the placard. I almost got one recently when I had to use the restroom. It was an emergency & I pulled into the first spot I could see, ran in and used the restroom. When I came out I got an earful from a cop & he didn't seem to buy into my "I had to use the restroom really bad and wasn't paying attention to what spot I was parking in" excuse. He didn't ticket me though, so that's good. :p

Just looked it up, can only get a blue badge here and that's only for people with severe disability.

I think it's bad, For people like me with medium disability. Essential Tremor is not a recognised disability and yet it can be very disabling.

I have never parked in one. Oh except for when I took care of granny and she had to use her walker everywhere we went. I'd use her hanging sign and we'd do her/our errands:) also we had a handicapped parking sign in front of our house for her (my) car lol
.......Granny......:)

can i ask what your disability is?

if you are using a stick to get about i would class that as more than 'medium disability'

try applying again for the new PIP mobility allowance...........and make sure you lay it on thick, when you go for the interview get someone to push you in a wheelchair.....dont walk in cos then they will automatically say you have enough mobility to get around...you have to play the game to get what you want

ive just helped someone close do this..........she got the allowance sorted in only a few weeks, i only went into the council office a few days ago to apply for the blue badge for her, should be sorted in less than a week

I think if you got a ticket and actually went to court, hopefully it would be dropped the second they see you walking in with the cane. But you should go back to the doctor, a foot doctor might help, or any doctor willing to give you the necessary clearance for the paperwork you need to get the parking handicap certificate. Good luck @Raven

. But you should go back to the doctor, a foot doctor might help, or any doctor willing to give you the necessary clearance for the paperwork you need to get the parking handicap certificate. Good luck @Raven

dosnt work like that in the UK.....need to be refered to a government run (but supposedly 'impartial') organisation to be assessed to see if you qualify.....legendary for refusing first time round, just have to appeal and play the game to get what you need

can i ask what your disability is?

if you are using a stick to get about i would class that as more than 'medium disability'

try applying again for the new PIP mobility allowance...........and make sure you lay it on thick, when you go for the interview get someone to push you in a wheelchair.....dont walk in cos then they will automatically say you have enough mobility to get around...you have to play the game to get what you want

ive just helped someone close do this..........she got the allowance sorted in only a few weeks, i only went into the council office a few days ago to apply for the blue badge for her, should be sorted in less than a week

I have Essential Tremor, Functional Movement Disorder and Fibromyalgia. I also have Kyphosis and Lordosis -Curvature of upper and lower spine. It causes much pain and limits the amount I can walk without using a stick.

If I am walking a short distance and am having an ok day I am ok if I take it slow. But walking more than 30 mins I need aid.

Create an account or login to post a reply

You must be a member in order to post a reply

Create an account

Create an account here on Off Topix. It's quick & easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom