What's new
Off Topix

Off Topix is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public way back in 2009! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to pique your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.

Favorite Forum Software

I love both XenForo and WordPress. They are the very best in my opinion.
On the subject of WordPress, I enjoy it a lot as a website option (in fact, it is what I have used the last five or so years), but as a forum software, I would discourage anyone from using their Buddy Press plugins, as it encounters a lot of glitches and problems, especially when you've made customization. It is alright for a small community, or for a website where the community isn't the website's major function, but not for a serious, actual community.

I haven't made forum sites in awhile, as I have dealt with some other software instead (I have been using a program called Wowonder, which I would recommend for anybody who wants to make a social media website). However, I'm "back in the game," so to speak. Beforehand, I had used phpBB, myBB, ProBoards, Invision, vBulletin, and half a dozen others, and now, I find myself using XenForo. It is the software Off Topix uses, as a matter of fact, and is a natural progression from vBulletin. If you can afford it, it is by far, head and shoulders, above any other forum software (the only other software I would honestly recommend nowadays beyond it is Invision).

The cost of hosting
How much were your hosting costs?
On the subject of WordPress, I enjoy it a lot as a website option (in fact, it is what I have used the last five or so years), but as a forum software, I would discourage anyone from using their Buddy Press plugins, as it encounters a lot of glitches and problems, especially when you've made customization. It is alright for a small community, or for a website where the community isn't the website's major function, but not for a serious, actual community.
Thats what I've heard from several other peeps as well.
I haven't made forum sites in awhile, as I have dealt with some other software instead (I have been using a program called Wowonder, which I would recommend for anybody who wants to make a social media website). However, I'm "back in the game," so to speak. Beforehand, I had used phpBB, myBB, ProBoards, Invision, vBulletin, and half a dozen others, and now, I find myself using XenForo. It is the software Off Topix uses, as a matter of fact, and is a natural progression from vBulletin. If you can afford it, it is by far, head and shoulders, above any other forum software (the only other software I would honestly recommend nowadays beyond it is Invision).
I agree. XF is the best :D

Invision is a fine option I suppose but it feels a little less user-friendly than XF. A grandma plucked right off Facebook (who's never used a forum) could join here and find her way around pretty easily. She'd probably struggle with IPB though. :p

Nearly always used phpB, so obviously my favorite.
The worst that can be said about phpBB is that it is largely stagnant. Every theme I have seen enough times I can usually place them by name. The major add-ons phpBB has are minor, built-in features in more modern forum software as well. That said, a forum's a forum. You can certainly find a proper, nice-looking theme, make it your own if you have the technical knowhow and have a nice community.

Invision is a fine option I suppose but it feels a little less user-friendly than XF. A grandma plucked right off Facebook (who's never used a forum) could join here and find her way around pretty easily. She'd probably struggle with IPB though. :p
I have a soft spot for IPB because it was the software I was most largely associated with - I learned how to code through IPB and I have a lot of nostalgic memories with it. I will admit it is less user-friendly and shows its age, but it had a lot of customizations and theme options as well, plenty of ways to make it your own.

Honest to God, until seeing a post here from somebody, I had completely forgotten that Zetaboards ever existed. That software was solid as well. I am sad that Zathyus didn't continue to develop and polish it.

Last edited:
My best experiences have probably been with phpBB & MyBB for free options...for some reason never could enjoying using SMF. I own a license for Xenforo that I enjoyed for some time, honestly though the thing that kept me from going IP.Board was price.

Aren't the prices between XF and IPB pretty similar?
Yes they're extremely similar especially these days I think. When I originally bought XF it was either cheaper for the initial license and the renewal's or the renewal's were cheaper. I can't entirely recall.

***EDIT***
Just decided to quick look out of curiosity.

IPB you're looking at $250 initially and then $80 each year to renew to continue getting updates.
Xenforo is only $160 (now, it used to be cheaper) and $55 each year to continue with updates.

Last edited:
Yes they're extremely similar especially these days I think. When I originally bought XF it was either cheaper for the initial license and the renewal's or the renewal's were cheaper. I can't entirely recall.

***EDIT***
Just decided to quick look out of curiosity.

IPB you're looking at $250 initially and then $80 each year to renew to continue getting updates.
Xenforo is only $160 (now, it used to be cheaper) and $55 each year to continue with updates.

I haven't looked up the prices in a while. That is robbery!

Especially since IPB is an inferior product to XF. :p ;)

Personally I’ve always preferred and liked xenforo, but then again I have used MyBB before but the only thing I like about mybb forum software it’s simple and easy to use and when it comes to designing themes it’s not too complicated. With xenforo it’s kinda complicated and not that easy not only that but the admin panel kinda annoys me because you have to navigate a lot. But the software itself and everything else I love xenforo.

Personally I’ve always preferred and liked xenforo, but then again I have used MyBB before but the only thing I like about mybb forum software it’s simple and easy to use and when it comes to designing themes it’s not too complicated. With xenforo it’s kinda complicated and not that easy not only that but the admin panel kinda annoys me because you have to navigate a lot. But the software itself and everything else I love xenforo.

XenForo admin panel is easy for me. Everything you need is in the sidebar and the search bar. I installed an admin panel theme to make things a little more condensed and easier to navigate.

Our's looks like this:

zmQbcFS.png

Create an account or login to post a reply

You must be a member in order to post a reply

Create an account

Create an account here on Off Topix. It's quick & easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom