What's new
Off Topix

Off Topix is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public way back in 2009! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to pique your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.

FYI: Smartphones Can Detect Eye Cancer

Webster

Recovering Snark Master
Administrator

MSN Health: FYI - Smartphones Can Detect Eye Cancer

BBjMtqd.img

You might have heard of this trick before, but take note — it’s literally a lifesaver. Retinoblastoma is a rare type of aggressive eye cancer that almost exclusively affects young children. It develops as a tumor in the retina but can be diagnosed with just a smartphone. Children who have the disease often have a white glow around their pupils that shows up when photographed with a flash — and it's this fact that recently saved the life of Julie Fitzgerald's two-year-old son, Avery. "It saved our son's life."

"I just had this gut feeling in my stomach that something was wrong with his eye," Fitzgerald told ABC News . She'd seen odd spots in Avery's eyes in photos, but after reading a viral story about an identical diagnosis, she took her son to the doctor who confirmed the presence of cancer. Avery unfortunately lost his eye to the disease but no more than that. "It turned out to be our worst nightmare but it saved our son's life," Fitzgerald says.

Spotting a white flash in a child's pupil isn't a definitive diagnosis of retinoblastoma, but it's always worth following up, say doctors. "It's much better to do an exam that has negative findings than to pass up an exam and not have it looked at," Mayo Clinic ophthalmologist Michael W. Stewart told USA Today. "When caught early [retinoblastoma is] very treatable. Current technology and chemotherapies can save the baby's life and vision."

As a diagnostic tool, smartphone cameras are so effective that the Childhood Eye Cancer Trust (CHECT) even ran an ad campaign last year centered on the trick. They put up posters of children's eyes that flashed white when photographed thanks to the use of reflective ink. If you want to know more then CHECT has a good online guide about how to spot the white glow as well as other symptoms of retinoblastoma.

Thoughts?

Time for an eye-cancer-detecting app, me thinks.

So you did use to post something other than the news before..

lol this topic is absurd. If I wanted to know if I had cancer, I wouldn't waste my time using a phone to do it. Because if you used a phone, a trained & experienced medical physician is going to tell you that you're making an "assumed" diagnosis anyway (which is another word for "not documented") and then they're going to insist that they do blood tests, take a sample, and ask you if you're experiencing anything out of the ordinary. Because going off of an assumed diagnosis that a patient made is a malpractice waiting to happen to the doctor. Because the patient likely has no experience in the medical field. Because the patient likely didn't go to medical school and doesn't have any state licenses with a medical board. Because the patient probably didn't do an internship, a residency, or a fellowship. Therefor the patient doesn't know for a fact that's what it is. Because the patient has no experience in any medical field what so ever.

Last edited:
lol this topic is absurd. If I wanted to know if I had cancer, I wouldn't waste my time using a phone to do it. Because if you used a phone, a trained & experienced medical physician going to tell you that you're making an "assumed" diagnosis anyway (which is another word for "not documented") and then they're going to insist that they do blood tests, take a sample, and ask you if you're experiencing anything out of the ordinary. Because going off of an assumed diagnosis that a patient made is a malpractice waiting to happen to the doctor.
I guess it's one of those "the few times it did work" things? It also seems to be an app, rather than.. idk, a general sensor lol and I doubt many people will randomly download that app. Also, I searched for it and I'm mostly finding things from 2019 and few in amount. Considering the intensity of this, I'd expect more publications. Like I didn't know about it either till I read this thread lol.

I guess it's one of those "the few times it did work" things? It also seems to be an app, rather than.. idk, a general sensor lol and I doubt many people will randomly download that app. Also, I searched for it and I'm mostly finding things from 2019 and few in amount. Considering the intensity of this, I'd expect more publications. Like I didn't know about it either till I read this thread lol.

It is. Like for example....one time I thought I had Covid. I had a fever, cold chills, sweats, and a headache; I coughed up blood and came to that conclusion. I made an "assumed diagnosis". When I told my mother what I thought I had she said "no, go get tested" and I did. As it turns out, I did not have Covid. But what I did have was influenza. So when someone says you know your body better than the doctor, they're bullshitting and do not know what they're talking about.

It is. Like for example....one time I thought I had Covid. I had a fever, cold chills, sweats, and a headache; I coughed up blood and came to that conclusion. I made an "assumed diagnosis". When I told my mother what I thought I had she said "no, go get tested" and I did. As it turns out, I did not have Covid. But what I did have was influenza. So when someone says you know your body better than the doctor, they're bullshitting and do not know what they're talking about.
Gonna sidetrack; I hope you're alright after that?

Gonna sidetrack; I hope you're alright after that?

I recovered just fine after a few days of bed rest. Normally when I get hit with influenza that bad it tends to knock me off of my feet. When I'm feeling better I still have a slight cough which goes away after a few days.

I recovered just fine after a few days of bed rest. Normally when I get hit with influenza that bad it tends to knock me off of my feet. When I'm feeling better I still have a slight cough which goes away after a few days.
Nice dude!

Anyways, we've found a good new fad; We should just dig up @Webster's past threads and comment on how absurd they are. ^-^

So you did use to post something other than the news before..

Anyways, we've found a good new fad; We should just dig up @Webster's past threads and comment on how absurd they are. ^-^

@Webster looks like someone has a crush on you.

Peter Rabbit Aww GIF by Sky

lol this topic is absurd. If I wanted to know if I had cancer, I wouldn't waste my time using a phone to do it. Because if you used a phone, a trained & experienced medical physician is going to tell you that you're making an "assumed" diagnosis anyway (which is another word for "not documented") and then they're going to insist that they do blood tests, take a sample, and ask you if you're experiencing anything out of the ordinary. Because going off of an assumed diagnosis that a patient made is a malpractice waiting to happen to the doctor. Because the patient likely has no experience in the medical field. Because the patient likely didn't go to medical school and doesn't have any state licenses with a medical board. Because the patient probably didn't do an internship, a residency, or a fellowship. Therefor the patient doesn't know for a fact that's what it is. Because the patient has no experience in any medical field what so ever.

Agreed. I wouldn't trust a phone to diagnose me either! :phone:

I'm getting pretty close to Top 5 posters btw. Do you guys have an award for that?
Nice! You'll win some bragging rights and....

Austin Powers Doctor Evil GIF

jk, someone give me one million dollars! I need it. :p

Nice! You'll win some bragging rights and....

Austin Powers Doctor Evil GIF

jk, someone give me one million dollars! I need it. :p
I mean you should make an award for "Top 5 posters" (each month), it's a good incentive, otherwise there's no point. Linzi is also getting there despite joining like a week ago. Do you think you'll consider it?

I mean you should make an award for "Top 5 posters" (each month), it's a good incentive, otherwise there's no point. Linzi is also getting there despite joining like a week ago. Do you think you'll consider it?

Sounds like a good idea, thanks for the suggestion. I look into it.

Sounds like a good idea, thanks for the suggestion. I look into it.
Yeah and please specify the exact rank (Like 5, 4, 3, 2, 1) as that's much more incentivizing since the Top 1 would be in the same bracket as the 5th if you don't do that. Thanks btw

Create an account or login to post a reply

You must be a member in order to post a reply

Create an account

Create an account here on Off Topix. It's quick & easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom